164 only runs without AFM and TPS

Started by AJSA, June 07, 2016, 02:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJSA

Hey guys,
So my 164 only idles for a few seconds and then dies.
Unless, I disconnect both the Air Flow Meter and the Throttle Position Sensor.
Then it just idles nicely. I've tried every other combination of disconnecting these and the Idle Actuator.
Smells like it's running really rich as well.
Wondering if anyone has any hints before I buy some new parts.

Cheers AJ

V AR 164

Hmmm, the only advice I can give is check all hoses before the throttle body. The 'accordion' intake pipe usually cracks and let's in unmetered air. Also make sure you have no vacuum leaks.

My only guess is when you disconnect those sensors, the ecu goes into a 'limp' mode and tries to run the engine without these sensors, and therefore may run rich to avoid leaning out and going bang. But that's just my assumption, I may be completely wrong!

If air isn't the issue, I would be checking fuel and spark next. Make sure you are running new spark plugs, just so you can cross off things that may be the issue. I use NGK BP6ES plugs and have never had any issues.

Edit: Also it is interesting that the engine runs without those sensors, maybe one or both of them could be broken or damaged. I'd try and get my hands on some working second hand units and see if that makes any difference

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

AJSA

Cheers Andrew,
Just a bit of history. Was running fine but then started getting driven less often, around the time I got it.
Last year it wouldn't start after being parked for a few months.
Cleaned the plugs that were only a year old and it started, so I could move it. Then the next time it took ages to start and would only run if I feathered the accelerator until it was warm, about 15 min. Replaced the coil, points, rotor and fuel filter, but still the same problem until I disconnected AFM & TPS.
Might trying running it until it's warm and reconnect them.
Tested AFM, TPS & Idle Actuator as per the service manual and that seemed fine. But that doesn't mean they're positioning themselves correctly while its running. Also it doesn't seem to have a Lambda sensor in the exhaust.

I'll check for intake and vacuum leaks.
I took it off its stands to move it tonight but the clutch pedals gone soft.

AJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk