Alfa 169

Started by Joe Garra, July 09, 2008, 12:28:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Garra

Does anyone know of any news regarding it?
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

John Hanslow

Good question.

A recent google search did not give any really up to date confirmation as to what is going on with this car.  It looks like it has been posponed from 2008 to 2010. Generally regeferred to as Progetto 941.  This car was initially introduced to us a few years ago as the 'Visconti'.

There is a bit of futuristic 'rendered speculation' as to what it would look like out there on the web;  and there were some good partial pictures of a prototype earlier this year.  A lot of info is out there and not all necessarily correct.  One of the most recent articles says that the Maserati platform will not be used as too expensive so the search is on for a replacement platform  - a jag or something !

I don't really know - but if you assume that the MiTo is the focus this year and next year, that leaves the 149, an update for the 159 et. el., launch of the Xover, entry to US market and economic uncertanty - all in the next few years.

If it was just so simple ...
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Doug Gould

I asked David Stone about the 169 when I was picking up my new 159 (he happened to be at Lance Dixon's at the time). He says that there is no timeline on the 169. He mentioned the MiTo, MiTo GTA and X-over as all coming before a 169.

Doug
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

John Hanslow

That's a fair comment from the company that sells the cars.  But wasn't the 169 rear wheel drive with de deon rear axle going to pave the way for relaunch of Alfa in the USA - post 8c ?

I have noticed a pattern here, everytime a new executive seems to join Alfa or Fiat, they are quoted (or misquoted) with their view of what will be happening next or what project is on the horizon.

One example is the famed relaunch of the 'duetto' in a few years time.  It's postponed, shelved, revived and now there is talk about the MiTo convertable duetto style being the product to capture the youth market with a small sports car;  can not really see the link back to the graduate here.

I suppose just because the company may have a prototype with current technology, resources or floorplan, it does not mean its economically viable in the future with a product mix for the market.

At the end of the day small cars are in, but a 169 (Maserati style) car would be a ripper!  After all the 164 was a hit for its day!

Cheers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata