Alfa 156 wagon

Started by Tags, July 06, 2008, 07:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tags

Hi guys,

I'm completly new to Alfa's hence im looking for some advice/points in the right direction. I'm looking at buying a 2002-2003 Alfa 156 sportswagon and whilst i've done a bit of research on the web i've only seen specs and nothing on common problems, good things, bad things etc....

Hoping you can shed some light on the subject for me.

Cheers,

Michael

Joe Garra

I owned a 156 selespeed wagon for four years. Very reliable over that time. Boot is fairly small ( we had to keep taking the wheels off the pram to fit it in). My wife loved the selespeed, I prefer a normal manual.
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

Tags

Thanks Joe. No prams for us at this stage, but good to know you can squeeze one in.  :)

What are they like performance wise? Fuel efficiency?

Are there any other differences between the 2002 and 2003 apart from the 10 or so extra kw's?

Cheers,

Joe Garra

squeeze being the operative word. 159 wagon much roomier. Can't answer the other two - I claim all the fuel through work so have never measured it.
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

Davidm1600

Hi Michael

I bought a 2003 JTS wagon in Sydney last year (Gabbiano metallic blue with black leather) had 89,000 on the clock from a dealer. Paid $19,990 for it. With the wife we had a road trip back to Hobart down the coast.  With the back seat down we fitted our luggage, two surfboards and stuff (wine, lamps etc) we bought on the way down.  I know the 159 is longer, but from perspective I can fit all I need into the car with the back seat down.  I even can get my mini mal board (7''8) into the car.  Skis are no problem, with the split rear seat.

From my experience so far, it now has nearly 95,000 on the clock it runs like a dream.  Maybe I found a really good one.  The car was a one owner from new with full Alfa dealer service history.  The only minor niggle is that on occasions I get a small squeak from somewhere in the front suspension, I suspect I need to change a bush. I have had some discussions with other forum members re 156s and the general consensus is that the front suspension is a little soft (I agree) and hence best to change the shocks to either Konis or Bilsteins.  One can also change the springs (Eibachs have been recommended).  Apart from that the key to remember is to always keep an eye on the oil levels given the variable valve timming.  I have heard complaints re trim quality, electrics etc but I havnt had such problems.  Mine has the Bose hi fi upgrade and the sound is superb !!  I recall recently seeing someone talk about a problem with their  temperature guage and this was traced to the thermostat. 

As to the 156's fuel economy, it is excellent both around city and highway mode.  I think the books talk about 6-7 L/100km range.  I can't quite remember the actual figures.  Basically it is cheap to run.  I personally reckon the sportwagon is one of the best looking modern wagons.  If I were to change it, it would be only for a 159 sportwagon and there you have the choice of the 2.2 JTS or V6. 

I don't know if there is much difference between the 2002 and 2003. It could be that the 2002 had the Twin Spark and the '03 the JTS engine.  My mechanic highly recommended going for the manual over the selespeed, which is what I did.   I recall being advised that the JTS engine is the better choice.  Perhaps more knowledgeable 156 owners have differing views?? 

Prices from what I have seen seem to vary a little for 02 and 03 cars but you should be able to find one for between $16,000 to $22,000.   

Goodluck in the hunt for one.

Cheers  Dave

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

pep105

Dave
Does your sportswagon have the updated front end or the original series 156 front, as the original JTS looked like the twinspark but with colour coded bars then in 03 there was the Guigiaro facelift.

So to answer your question Michael up to approx sept 02 the 156 was Twinspark then post Sept 02 went JTS and scored many features from the 147 including multi function wheel, dual zone climate, VSC (Vehicle stabillty control), ASR (traction control) 6 airbags, updated dash and guages and of course the JTS engine with a power increase from 114 to 121 kw . Then in late 03 there was the Guigiaro facelift which had the revised front end styling and rear bumpers etc. plus some suspension mods apparently. Both engines go great with the JTS having a little more sparkle as I drove them back to back when I was shopping for a car in 03. Fuel consumption average is about 9.7 combined thats from a 147 twinspark which returns similar to 156TS although JTS may be better again. (theres a thread on this in current models)

The wagon looks hot and is one of the best looking wagons going around - Good luck

Cheers
Pep
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Davidm1600

Pep, no mine doesn't have the revised front or rear styling but rather the original one with the body coloured overriders.  It does have all the update features you discuss except obviously the further suspension mods. You are probably correct re the fuel consumption, I seemed to recall from looking at the owners manual that consumption was around the 7 -8 L/100km mark but perhaps my memory is not up to it. As to the reality it also depends a little on how you drive the car.  All I know is that is better than my 1750 GTV. 

Definitely agree that the wagon looks hot.  When I went looking to buy something a little more modern, the only other wagon I had considered was the Audi A4 but in comparison,.....yes well probably more conservative would be a fair description.  Cheers Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Tags

Thanks for all the info guys, you've been a great help.
From the sounds of it, the 2003 model has quite a bit extra over the 2002. My wife is pushing for a Volvo XC70, my argument  is that they're too big, the 156 wagon seems like a good compromise.

And so the search begins. Is there anything in particular i should look for, common problems etc..?

I'll keep you posted.

cheers,

Michael

Davidm1600

Hi Michael

I think the best advice I can give, based on my own experience is to try to find a sportwagon with the lowest Km on the clock for the best price.  A full Alfa dealer service history is important, and actually see what they have done.  Critically important is that the belts have been changed when or prior to when due since the cost of not doing them is $$$$$$. 

Also look at body condition, eg any repairs, trim falling off, if with leather interior that it is not torn, or cracked (shouldnt be yet), and that the steering, brakes, suspension all feel tight. Squeaks, and rattles in the suspension mean bushes etc.  Some 156s have been known to suffer from electrical problems.  The engine should sound smooth at idle.  Also check the clutch pickup.  Basically all the normal things.  If in doubt get it checked by an Alfa dealer.

Goodluck with the hunt and yes you dont want a Volvo XC70, far too big, thirsty and not a proper 4WD, in anycase.  Cheers Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina