Koni inserts for sud

Started by Alfa.mg, March 10, 2016, 09:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Koni were a standard option, the Spica shock absorber Company, i was told, an Italian State Owned Company, that the Italian Goverment wouldn't fund it, just like Alfa Romeo at the time, and all their equipment was out of date, and the Goverment were getting ready to sell it, hence the substandard shock absorbers that would leak sitting on a shelf, as witnessed by a young Uncle Col about 30 years ago at a Melbourne Alfa Romeo Dealer.
The bottom of the strut will have a bolt head sticking out the bottom holding the anything but a Spica shock absorber, the top of the shock absorber will have a recessed hex for a 6 mm allen key, from memory the Spica had a crappy looking external square on it.
The Koni brand was quite hard to get, in 1984 for the Sud, due to overwelming demand and we were going to get the Koni's reconditioned at the long gone Heidleburg shocker reconditioners.
The Sud and 33 was diabolical to drive with no proper dampening on the front, hit a severe bump and the Sud almost changed lanes, it was that bad, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

amichie

If the Alfasud strut has a big 17- 19mm bolt head sticking out the bottom of the strut and an allen key hole in the top of the strut then it probably has a Koni already.

Sportscar Nut

The Konis certainly improved the handling of the cars but not the compliance/ comfort. Alfa did a great job with the SPICAs tuning the suspension on the TiQV's and really balanced the car's nicely for the road. Well remember my car and driving a couple of others with the standard suspension and they drove beautifully (particularly post re-valving to stiffer Koni Yellows with 20% harder 'bump' on the Sud).

Have kept a couple of sets of original SPICA shockers.

Enjoy
Paul

colcol

Paul, you must have had some special Spica's, all the ones i seen were leaking.....on a shelf in a box, by the time it went on the car half of the oil would have gone.
If you have Koni's, you can have them revalved by Koni, but most likely not in Melbourne, as the Koni spare parts van doesn't quite make it this far.
You would most likely to able to get the Spica's rebuilt by a shock absorber reconditioner, i have seen original Spica's for sale on ebay in Europe and decided to give them a wide berth, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sportscar Nut

I suspect from memory Col that the SPICAs needed rebuilding and these days, could get them rebuilt. The Konis are such great quality though and have had 22 years without an issue.

Alfa.mg

Had a quick look. It has a nut at the bottom, and a nut at the top. The thread coming out the top is square shaped for the last 10 or so mm. Will keep investigating when i get them off. Thanks for all the info.
1983 alfasud TI 1.5 silver
1990 Alfa 33 cloverleaf 1.7 white
2001 Alfa 156 2.0 red
2003 Alfa 147 2.0 red
2001 Alfa 156 2.5 Monza silver (now)
1983 Alfa Sud TI 1.5 red (now)
1974 berlina 2000 white (1 too many)

colcol

There were other manufacturers who made the inserts for the struts, can't remember what brands they were, but most used Koni, as they could be rebuilt and revalved back in the day, but these days if you use the Victorian Koni Agent, they don't have any parts for 33's and Suds, so get them done by the Queensland Koni agent, Colin.

Alfa.mg

Im feeling the love has run out for the Vic agent.
1983 alfasud TI 1.5 silver
1990 Alfa 33 cloverleaf 1.7 white
2001 Alfa 156 2.0 red
2003 Alfa 147 2.0 red
2001 Alfa 156 2.5 Monza silver (now)
1983 Alfa Sud TI 1.5 red (now)
1974 berlina 2000 white (1 too many)