help needed

Started by marktim, January 11, 2016, 07:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marktim

Hi, can someone  please help,I'm the new owner of a 1982 gtv2.0 and I'm in the process of repairing or replacing parts and I'm having trouble identifying the right radiator hose for this car.I'm chasing the bottom hose that goes from the bottom of the radiator into the water pump, I've looked around and can't find the right one. This car has been fitted with twin electric fans and I'm sure it's a alfa radiator but not sure if it's the right radiator for this car.I hope the pics come through ok and there clear enough to see the hose I'm talking about, thanks for any help,cheers.Sorry but I can't seem to add attachments to this post, if someone would be kind enough to give me an email address I can send the pics to I'd really appreciate it.

DHDamo

Can't see any pics obviously but I don't think the radiator hoses are readily available at regular auto places. If you call your local Alfa guys they'll know which one you need based on car model number - assuming it is the stock radiator.
Now:
'84 GTV
'12 Nissan Navara D22

Then:
'83 Giulietta ('01-'06)

poohbah

Whereabouts in Perth are you located? Cileberti Motors in Osborne Park should be able to help.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

marktim

Thanks for the replies I hope this pic helps identify what I'm talking about, cheers.

DHDamo

Hose looks stock (or same as mine at least). Ask your Alfa guy, I'd say they'll have one.
Now:
'84 GTV
'12 Nissan Navara D22

Then:
'83 Giulietta ('01-'06)

marktim

I've asked a few alfa parts places and tried ebay and I'm struggling to find this hose,are  twin electric fans stanard on a 1982 gtv,thanks

VeeSix

I think twin fans came on 1982 models fitted with air conditioning, air conditioned models also had a different looking centre console compared to non air conditioned models  :)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

marktim

Yep mine is air conditioned, it's strange but I've looked in Websites from Europe and the US for that long bottom rad hose and even in air con fitted cars they don't show that  hose,I'll keep looking and take the car to a parts supplier and see if I can source something through them,I don't like driving without spare belts and hoses in the boot ,it's typical if you don't have them you'll get a leaky hose but if you carry spares it never happens  but id prefer to err on the side of caution.

GTVeloce

That setup looks very standard for that vintage with AC. I would be very surprised if Cilebertis doesn't have them. Alternatively, go into a repco or wherever and find something that is close and then cut it down to the size/length you need. This is my upper rad hose (TS motor in an 83 GTV) and it began life as a Jeep Cherokee hose!

marktim

Thanks for the reply, I think you're right I'll go and see my local repco guy and look a those flexi hoses that  you cut  to fit.The great thing with this old girl is she runs pretty  cool and only gets up close to opening the thermostat when sitting idling ,are these motors ok to run a bit cooler than normal,as it's got no sensors for engine temperature  control I'm only worried if they run a bit cool it might effect the front cylinder ,thanks for the replies, cheers. 

rowan_bris

Why not just get a hose that is made to fit rather than cutting something else up?  Anyone who sells Alfa parts will have one

bteoh

I am pretty sure Cileberti Motors in Osborne Park would have it. Have you tried them? As Rowan said, it is much better to source the original hose than muck around cutting up non standard hoses. Your car looks quite original.
Cheers

poohbah

Absolutely agree with Bteoh. I had all the hoses, along with the water pump, replaced on my GTV at Cilebertis a few months back. Wasn't a problem.
            1981 GTV

marktim

I'll take her for a drive to Cilbertis,and see what they can do for me,can I also get some advice about the front end,I have a loud knock coming from the front passenger side when I hit a decent bump,I've changed all four shocks but the knock is still there, it looks like the front end hashad the bushes changed at some stage and they look in good condition is there  any ideas as to what this knock could be thanks for the help, cheers.

poohbah

Good idea, Cilebertis should be able to tell you quick smart what the problem is.

Looking further ahead, have you bought yourself a Haynes workshop manual? Pretty handy reference tool for most things.
            1981 GTV