75 options

Started by Ads, June 27, 2008, 03:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ads

After some consideration I am thinking of canning the '105 to track-day spec' idea.  So money for it will be allocated to fixing up the interior and the few patches of rust on it rather than performance mods. 

So I have started researching a bit about 75's as watching some of the AROCA sprints, the cars I noticed most were a couple of great sounding 2.5 V6 75's (and a 90 as well!).

I have spent most of the day trolling through forums and am in two minds.  Would it be worth spending that little bit more and finding a 3 litre, or should I just find a cheap 2.5, slightly modify it and run it until it goes bang? 

I am leaning towards the latter, but would appreciate some opinions/advice/stories- I believe the 2.5 did not have an LSD for a start, is this a massive issue though?  Also, from research thus far it sounds as though a 3ltr can go in without too much trouble.  I am hoping for some ballpark figures on complete 3 ltr engines to see if this way is worthwhile.

Thanks

Adam
Prev: 75 TS
Prev: 1974 1600GT Junior (2 litre)

hammer

Adam,

I have a very good track prepared 75 Twinspark that is coming up for sale on July 7 (my brother is driving it in a regularity on July 5 & 6). It is $10,000 but it has had a ton of work put into it and I have double that in receipts. Email me on bhampstead@live.com.au if you would like to know more. It beats any 75 2.5 in Qld - although there is a 24v 3 litre that give me a good towelling!

Cheers,

Brent

Scott Farquharson

Well first up - which class?  Standard or modified?

The problem with a 3.0L is the diff - although they had an LSD, they ran a 3.53:1 which is way way too tall for the car on the track (and around town for that matter) in standard class

If you just want to have a tool around in standard class and you really want a v6 then there is nothing wrong with a 75 2.5L or a 90, except the LSD - it is not a huge drama but you will lack drive out of some corners and spin the inside wheel (cows tits, mg, honda.....)

Still, lots of fun.

Not sure if it is worth trying to put a 3.0L engine in though unless you are looking at modified class, otherwise go play with the 90's and 2.5L cars.....
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Sheldon McIntosh

As usual, Scott is right on the money (I hate that guy - damn good driver, always right, beautiful white driving suit...)

I wouldn't think it would be worth getting a 3.0 75 for track work, due to the aforementioned gearing issue, and the fact that they're quite rare these days so should be left alone.

It would be more cost efficient and wise to put a TS LSD in a 2.5 (as well as brakes and suspension work of course) and maybe get a 3.0 when the power is the only thing stopping you from going faster.

The lack of an LSD can be annoying sometimes, but some good suspension work can help it (I believe, still have to do that suspension work).  As an illustration, my 90 is spinning the inside rear wheel over Lukey Heights in 4th gear, and, so I've been told, smokes up the inside wheel in 3rd gear through the Southern Loop.  Out of the slow corners Scott mentioned you get lots of wheelspin, but I've found as I get more track time that I'm getting far better at limiting that and getting faster exits (and no I won't explain how, it's taken me 2 years to learn!) as well as sometimes using it to my advantage to keep the engine in the powerband, almost like slipping the clutch.

However, if you just want to get out there and see what it's like then even a standard car will be lots of fun, especially when a 2.5 75 can be had for about $1500 and a 90 for about $15.00

Brad M

Quote from: Sheldon Mcintosh on June 28, 2008, 12:30:21 PM
As usual, Scott is right on the money (I hate that guy - damn good driver, always right, beautiful white driving suit...)

Get a room!
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Mat Francis

QuotePosted by: Brad Marshall
Insert Quote
Quote from: Sheldon Mcintosh on June 28, 2008, 12:30:21 PM

Get a room!

Or a shearing shed, whatever makes you happy.

:P
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Scott Farquharson

It is a beautiful white suite, and damn I look good in it....I can understand how Sheldon feels....
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Ads

Thanks for the replies, though I am not even going there with the references to shearing sheds!

Scott- After further consideration and checking out my budget and the details of the sprint classes, I think it's best for me to jump into the standard class to develop my skills.  Given the 2.5l is cheaper (it has to be a V6...so the heart tells me!) and with the gearing talk I will head down that path.

Sheldon- Thanks for your thoughts re the LSD.  Will catch up with you on Saturday to have a chat about preparing a car etc, and likely harass a few v6 owners.

Will start looking around for a car late in the year.

Cheers
Prev: 75 TS
Prev: 1974 1600GT Junior (2 litre)

John Toomath

I'd like to think that my car may be one of the "great sounding 2.5 V6 75's" you mentioned in your first post.  ;D  I headed down this route only a few months ago and this weekend at Phillip Island is hopefully the first time that the full setup will work successfully.  Come and have a chat and I'll share my experiences so far.

I think you will find you are being a bit hopeful if you think you can "start looking around for a car late in the year". Once you want one, you'll want to grab the first one that fits the brief.
2001 GTV 3.0 24V V6 (daily smile generator)
1987 75 2.5 V6 (trackday smile generator)