77 gtv restoration project

Started by johnpaul, December 13, 2015, 09:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnpaul

Recently purchased a rusty 77gtv, and after removing some paint, have come to realise the job will be twice as big as I initially thought.

I will add some progress pics eventually.

Before I begin cutting and welding panels/wheel arches/sills etc , I was wondering;  Is removing the petrol tank necessary?

How do I remove petrol tank? any pics?

festy

Personally I wouldn't remove the tank unless you think there's a risk of cutting through it. I've never felt the need to remove the tank on any car I've welded up.
Definitely disconnect the battery though.

But if you do choose to, it's really easy. Disconnect the filler hose from inside the boot, disconnect the fuel line and gauge wires from the front of the tank, and remove the 4(?) bolts from underneath and it comes straight out.
There's no drain plug, so make sure the tank is as empty as you can get it before you start.

johnpaul

thanks festy, might just siphon it empty, leave it in, and weld away.

Lindsay_palmer

Johnpaul, where on the car are you welding? Unless you are welding the upper or lower rear panel, boot floor, wheel well, or rear quarters you could leave the tank in place. If you are doing a full repainted/ restoration I would pull the tank out, clean it and paint it. They are easy to get out, from memory they bolt in from underneath. Remember to check the tank for cracks in the middle at the bottom, they flex and crack when the vent gets blocked, check that to.

Also remember to store the tank outside your work area when welding, empty tanks are full of fumes and explode if ignited.

GR-124

I had to do some welding on the inside of the rear guard. So the tank had to come out. Was pretty straight forward really.
I wish getting a firm pedal after a bleeding the brakes was as easy as dropping the tank out ::).