Windscreen Worries

Started by sudseeker, November 05, 2015, 10:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sudseeker

Hello

I would like to remove the front windscreen on my '82 SUD to fix some rust.I plan to use a professional for the removal/installation.Apparently they have a 99.8% success rate ,but knowing my luck I will be in the .2% of failures.

Does anyone know if SUD windscreens are still available ' off the shelf ',or do they have to be made to order at some crazy cost? Also , can the rubber surround be reused or would it need to be replaced if one can be found?The rubber surround on my car seems to be in good condition.

I have read a previous post by Colcol about windscreen replacement and rust removal on an Alfa 33.Very informative but I don't think I am brave enough to try it myself.I have also read the warning in the Haynes Alfasud manual which says it is a job for " brave men " and/or " a very skilled windscreen glass fitter ".Also , " Success will not be achieved at home ".
Does anyone have any experience with SUD windscreens?

Thanks

LukeC

I would not be surprised if with later suds, the windscreen is quite easy to remove like later GTVs... While the Haynes manuals are handy, there is a lot mis-information in them.

This method may work: http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,13945.0.html

While the demand may not be there for a Sud, I recently bought an Alfetta GTV windscreen from Instant Windscreens for $125.... yes, you read correct! It is made by Fuyao (Shanghai). This company makes a lot of glass and holds ECE approvals for many vehicles. Give them a call.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

SudSub

While I have not removed my Sud's windscreen yet (and it is broken!), it is only held in place place by the rubber seal so would not be too hard to remove with some judicious patience. If you source a new windscreen rubber seal you can cut the old one with a stanley knife which should almost guarantee you save the windscreen.

I doubt you will have a problem getting a windscreen, if needed, as they are still listed and available new (Thanks to Chinese manufacturing I guess...). This was one thing I checked before I bought and dragged my Alfasud home!

colcol

The rubber seal on late model Suds is like the 33, it is taken out by using hacksaw blades cut in half, as per the instructions for the screen in the 33 workshop manual, don't cut the seal with a Stanley knife, as you will want to reuse it.
Don't try and push it out with your feet, while sitting in the front seat.
You start at the top and work your way down, slowly and watch how you are going.
Had a mate who was a windscreen fitter and took the screen out of an early Sud and called the owner for some really bad news, the screen came out ok, but so did the A pillars, as they were rusted out, car was then scrapped.
I have taken out a rear screen in a Sud using this method, without a problem.
The biggest problem will be getting a new screen.
I would pull the old one out and check for rust, to see if it is worth proceeding ahead, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sportscar Nut

Good Col advice as always! Note though that later model Sud's had a slightly bigger screen so be careful that the replacement is the same size (have seen two S3 Suds with early screens fitted - not good). The screens are an interference fit as well so takes some skill to remove without damaging the rubber.

Keep a close eye on whoever fits one!

Cheers
Paul

colcol

The late model Sud, like what i drove had a rubber seal that was sprung into place by the screen pushing against the rubber.
The early ones [ i think ] had a metal insert in the rubber to spring it in the opening, so you put the rubber and screen in the opening and then inserted the metal to hold it in.
The screen is loosened off at the top and pushed out, and putting it back in, you use string to hold the 'wings' on the rubber seal open, then push the assembly in the screen opening at the bottom and when it is central, you pull the 2 strings and the rubber 'wings' find their position on the inside of the windscreen opening.
Quite easy to do in the 33, reckon the Sud would be the same.
Biggest problem is removing the rust out of the windscreen opening at the bottom, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]