1.5 and 1.7 gearboxs help

Started by azza, December 08, 2015, 10:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

azza

can anyone help me i have 2x 1.7 gearboxs and 2x 1.5 gearboxs have pulled them apart and all are stuffed in second i can't find any parts or conversions for them does anyone know of a fix or gearbox conversion on a 1.7 8v

colcol

Take the synchro cones and selector rings off 5th gear and put them on 2nd gear, the 1700's have heavy duty spiders, they are thicker than the 1500's.
If all the synchro cones and selector rings are all worn, then look on ebay as they sometimes come up for sale.
And the worn out synchro cones and selector rings, they go back onto 5th gear where they don't cop such a beating, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

The selector forks can also cop a beating, they will wear out on the part that runs in the selector ring, and instead of pushing all the way, they will only push part of the way, causing a 'crunch' when you push it into gear, like not pushing the clutch all the way down to the floor, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sportscar Nut

Have a chat with Marc from Milano. A friend of his rebuilt my gearbox a few years back and he had a huge supply of gearbox internals in his garage.

I supplied a s/h 1.7IE gearbox & new synchro rings and he did the rest. Put together five perfect gears, forks etc and all fitted perfectly into the Sud box.

Cheers
Paul

colcol

And make sure the selector rods are not bent, any synchro issues, cause the driver to push harder on the gear lever, bending the rods, particulary where they have big cut outs in them.
They then bind up in the alloy casing and it just gets worse from there, the tighter they are, the harder you push.
Replace the bush that supports the input shaft, as it can get noisy when idling as it flops around, that of course if you can still get one, Colin.