Spettacolo Dinner and Car Show

Started by gregsalfa, December 01, 2015, 11:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaleuclint

Firstly and foremost, kudos to everyone who organises and participates in this wonderful day.  An outstanding event and a highlight of my motoring year.

But...
Quote from: Luna Rossa on December 06, 2015, 10:37:15 PM
One factor that may have resulted in people leaving early was the food vendors seemed to have sold out of stock. It's a tough call catering at the best of times, especially when the weather could determine how many people turn up to an outdoor event, but having food available may have resulted in people staying longer.
Yep -- this is the problem.  Second year running that the wood-fired pizza operation went into meltdown and anarchy ensues.  It shouldn't take 50 minutes of standing around in the sun to get a pizza just because a caterer can't control their ordering system.  Missed the awards (again) because of this. 

I can appreciate that caterers might want exclusive rights in order to make their presence viable.  But when there are so few options and they don't work, it's time for a rethink.  These pizza guys simply aren't up to the task and need to be booted -- it detracts from what in all other respects is a fabulous celebration of Alfa Romeo.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

AlfaACT

John, Greg and the Spettacolo Team,

What a fabulous event!

As said in the latest Amatori Alfa (AROCA NSW) mag: (snippet attached)
"... The organisation of the event was excellent and the vehicles on display were outstanding, some were very rare, but all were extremely desirable - including, no less than a dozen (Oops!!!) gleaming Montreals in every colour imaginable! ..."

Congratulations and well done.

Ciao,
Peter

rimzimmer

Are the results to the show and shine judging published either in the club mag or on the web? Just what to know what i need to improve on for next year.

colcol

Your car just needs to be better than the best one in your class, sounds like captain obvious, but don't annoy judges, but look at all the cars in your class and see their weaknesses and strengths.
The walk up look, you want to see a good badge, grille and windscreen and a lot of effort put into it, one of the 1st place getters told me he started doing his car a month before the event, an hour or two per day, so it doesn't sneak up on you, don't think you can do a good job by cleaning it on Saturday, also the look of polish not cleaned off the edges is a bit of a no no, as it shows a quick job done.
You might even volunteer to help one of the judges, as checking the cars with two sets of eyes is better than one, you will get the feel of what to look out for.
Just don't take it too seriously as Alfa Romeo's are meant to be driven, and enjoyed, kept clean, but not packed up in cotton wool in a car palace, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Garibaldi

As Col said, but it really does come down to attention to detail. When I am judging rarely do I have to deduct points for blatantly obvious issues with cars. It is more the little things and usually not many points separate the winning car and the others.  ;)

colcol

And more often, there is no clear winner....until you might have to compare 2 or 3 cars and start looking at the best grille, badge or windscreen, and its little things like that, picks the best car from the others.
Its an experience being a judge, as it makes you aware of the things to get right on your car.
If there is a big lump of polish, that has been missed, is much worse than a smidge of mud on the tyre, that most likely got there driving on to the oval, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

rimzimmer

I deferentially wasn't wanting to annoy any judges i can appreciate how hard it is to judge cars, and it can be a matter of personal opinion as well. I have just found it interesting and useful in the past reading the scores of my other cars, but I understand each club has its way of doing things.