Spettacolo Dinner and Car Show

Started by gregsalfa, December 01, 2015, 11:49:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregsalfa

Thank you to everybody that assisted with these two great events. The dinner was fantastic with some very entertaining and knowledgeable guest speakers.
Spettacolo was again the biggest and best ever and I received a number of comments from members of other car clubs expressing their acknowledgement of the quality of our day. Thank you to everyone who brought their cars along and made the occasion.

Thank you to our Concorso and Show and Shine competition entrants and to the businesses that sponsored the trophies.

Thank you to our Spettacolo sponsors Alliance Insurance, Zagame Automotive, Essendon Fiat Alfa, and Lance Dixon Prestige.

Thank you again one and all for your support.
Greg Briggs
President Alfa Romeo Owners' Club Victoria
Greg Briggs

vin sharp

Thanks to all involved for putting on such a great event. The number and quality of cars was quite something and the field had an atmosphere that makes it an 'event'. This has taken some years to build up at this new venue, perhaps its size had something to do with it, but this year filled out as it was the entire venue felt involved & connected as a whole.
Congratulations on an 'event' well done!

giulia_veloce

Hi Greg

Yes,,,another great event by AROCA Vic
Well done all involved
It was my 3rd road trip in 3 years to Spettacolo and it was great to see the many cars,and older cars that you have in Melbourne.
Great to catch up with my many AROCA Vic friends and spend the day chatting and perving at all the cars.
Last 2 years came down in my Junior Z..This year my GSGT 2 litre with Auto 3.2 diff.

On the way home,,,convoyed with a Montreal mate...Filled up at Wangaratta.He jumped into my 105 and said I had to drive the Monty to Gundagai.
Wow,not only did it look good at the show,but it drove fantastic as well.
The noise from that quad cam V8 at high revs is amazing.

Got home at midnight (Sydney) and was worth it.
Fuel consumption at 8.4 litres per 100 with the Auto 3.2 diff ratio was high speed and low RPM.

Looking forward to next year
And yes,,can drive it 1900 kms on Club plates =bargain.

Robert

EZEE

A belated thank you to all the VIC AROCA team for putting on a  great show yet again. Thank you for welcoming us "Sydneysiders"

cheers

EZEE

four90s

Hi Greg,

Another truly excellent event. Thanks again to you and all the people from AROCA Vic. who put on such a great show.

Regards
Steve Weedon
President
AROCA(SA)
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

Victor Lee

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

aggie57

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

GTV-074

Alister, I thinks its 'Sapphire Mettalic' .... I remember seeing a number of 1750's in that colour years ago...don't see many now. Looks good on coupes, berlinas...Real nice colour.

On another note, I loved the day and thanks to all for the great organisation but why does everyone leave so early?

By 2.30, 80% of the cars had gone which is really sad I think. The reason I say that is that the general public who might not come out so early or are driving by etc. would not have seen
many of the great cars that were there. The day should be one where people can walk the oval and see most examples, on any given day, of our great Marque. But when people start leaving at 1, that leaves a very small window of opportunity.

In years gone by the day seemed to stretch out a bit longer. I realise that the 'pre judging' of the concourse cars on the day prior, has helped the judges as it is a lot more practical
to view cars on a hoist etc. but this must contribute to the early departure too. Where people would hang around until late to hear the winners etc. once that is done, the exodus commences.

I know with other clubs, people get the picnic chairs out and are camped near their vehicles (personally I love to walk around and look at the cars!) answering peoples questions etc. and I think that helps the public understand the vehicles a lot more. We just don't see that at Spettacolo. I am not saying we all get the chairs out and don't leave our vehicles side, its just an observation.

I also understand circumstances where people need to get away (country, interstate etc.) but i'd just love if it stayed at capacity for a bit longer. I could have looked at the line up of Montreals and the newer 4C's for another 10 hours no problems!

Just my thoughts.

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

Garibaldi

People these days seem to come out a lot later than they used to. When I work Saturdays in our car dealership we rarely see anyone before 11.00am - 12.00pm. Maybe it is just a case of starting and finishing Spettacolo a little later.  :-\

colcol

The oval was full at about 9-30 to 10 am, then after the awards, everyone started to go home at about 1 pm, still a few hardy souls there by 4 pm.
Spectators should get there a bit earlier, not sure what time they had to vacate the oval, but the hard working men had to come back and pull all the tents down and the oval had to be cleaned up.
Some of the organisers were there at 6-30 am, and i am sure they had to be home at a certain time, and all the banners and barriers had to be loaded up and taken back to a lockup.
Good day allround, with the weather being much kinder to us than in previous years.
Great that you can just walk around and look at the cars and talk to the owners about, "i used to have one of them", Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

massiveluvbuddy67

An excellent event, well planned and executed by the committee and volunteers.
Congrats Greg and John.
Phil

Italian Supermodel

Hi all,
fully agree with Paul (gtv.074) with his comments re last Sunday's event.
The starting of engines and mass exodus soon after the announcement of awards/trophies was disappointing to quite a few there that I spoke to and maybe needs to be addressed in some logistical sense for next year.
Friends arrived at 2.15 after I'd invited them for a look and only got to see a sprinkling of a fabulous turnout.
Yes it's great to have a record amount of cars on the oval to commence with but I think a pre commitment of staying in place till say 4.00(and a later public viewing start of 11.00 may work),could be one way of highlighting the event to a keen and appreciative public.

colcol

Some of the organisers and the hard working men and women, who put the tents and equipment, electricians have to come in and wire up power and public address systems, where there at 6-30am. to set the field up, its not a big ask to get people to turn up at 11 am instead of rolling in at 2 pm.
The whole thing has to be taken down and packed up and people don't want to be still there at 6pm at night, most of the cars have to be off the field before the clean up can begin, as trucks have to come on the field to collect all the gear.
As previously stated the field was full at 10 am, so there is nothing stopping you from turning up at 10am, having a good look around and staying for the excellent lunch provided by one of the many vendors, then staying around to see the winners presentation.
As the field starts to thin out at about 1 pm, the last thing that is needed is a mass exodus at 4pm. as Punt and St.Kilda road are car parks by 4 pm.
And the interstate entrants have to drive home as well, one of the South Australians, left at 2pm. and he said he would be home by 11pm, thats dedication, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

massiveluvbuddy67

Quote from: Italian Supermodel on December 06, 2015, 02:01:08 PM
Hi all,
fully agree with Paul (gtv.074) with his comments re last Sunday's event.
The starting of engines and mass exodus soon after the announcement of awards/trophies was disappointing to quite a few there that I spoke to and maybe needs to be addressed in some logistical sense for next year.
Friends arrived at 2.15 after I'd invited them for a look and only got to see a sprinkling of a fabulous turnout.
Yes it's great to have a record amount of cars on the oval to commence with but I think a pre commitment of staying in place till say 4.00(and a later public viewing start of 11.00 may work),could be one way of highlighting the event to a keen and appreciative public.

You raise a really good point and I am sure we can squeeze you onto the organising committee for 2016. We are happy to receive help from all passionate members and Alfisiti.
Best Regards
Phil

Luna Rossa

One factor that may have resulted in people leaving early was the food vendors seemed to have sold out of stock. It's a tough call catering at the best of times, especially when the weather could determine how many people turn up to an outdoor event, but having food available may have resulted in people staying longer.

Once it was evident the food had run out, the group I was with decided to have a feed at the Belgian Beer garden across the street. We were surprised to fine the field all but deserted of Alfas on our return.

The early departures however didn't diminish my enjoyment of the day. The cars on display were magnificent and the event is a credit to the dedication of the organisers and sponsors. Thank you all.

PS I'm drooling at the prospect of seeing a Giulia at Spettacolo 2016
Current Cars
2013 Giulietta
1970 GT Veloce
1963 2600 Sprint

Past
1970 GT Junior 1300
2009 159 2.2 Litre JTS Ti