the best 1750?

Started by 328stig, June 24, 2008, 04:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

328stig

I have been looking for the best 1750 in Australia and so far this looks about the best I have seen on the market ( all be it I was looking for a red one ! ) . Does anyone know the car ? The price seems high but maybe I'm wrong ? ...or does anyone know of a better one ( in red! ) .
Any advice would be appreciated .
Many thanks .
John .

http://www.carpoint.com.au/used-car/ALFA%20ROMEO/1750/Victoria/csn5859896.aspx

alfagtv58

This is a great car, it has been at Spettacolo the last two years and was one of the toughest cars to get a good look at as there was always a crowd around it looking into every nook and cranny.  A very nice restoration job and obviously a lot of care was put into it.  I am surprised he is selling it.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

328stig

Many thanks . I might give him a call tomorrow.

Pete Y

Give Giallo Ocra a go. It might not be red, but it is a wonderful period colour, quite common on 105 Alfas and suits the car quite well.

Besides, you buy these cars on condition, not colour, and this one is a pearler and very very correct - except perhaps the shininess of the veneer, which looks a little over the top and un-factory.
Mini/'02/Mini/2000 GTV/1750 Berlina/Alfasud Sprint/900 Aero/NB MX5/Punto/Mondeo XR5/up!/MiTo TCT

Davidm1600

Hi 328Stig.  Good name by the way.  The ochre yellow 1750 I am sure would be superb but it is pricy !!  Have you checked out the very nicely restored 1750 (and it is  red) on Carpoint.com.au for $16,000.  1/2 price of the other car.  It is in Queensland but I am sure you could get someone to check it out for you if you can't.  I agree with Pete Y the Giallo Ocre is such a great period colour, though my preference is the Dark Alfa Blue.

The whole point is what can you afford and how often etc do you wish to drive it.  The problem in having the perfect condition classic is that one often becomes too scared of using it, in case it gets damaged by some halfwit who doesn't appreciate the cost or effort to restore a classic or what it may mean to the owner. 

Sometimes one can be better off in not having the "Perfect" car.  That is perhaps unless you can afford it and don't care how often it gets used etc. I have a friend here in Hobart who has a perfect 1750.  He probably uses it 1/2 dozen times a year at most and then all he does is go around the block.  I cant see the point in that given how delightful a well sorted 105 coupe is.  Even my poor old thing is great fun  to drive.  My problem is that it is now too rough looking such that I get a little embaressed.  It does need to be restored.

Which ever way you go good luck and I hope you find the 105 of your dreams.  Cheers Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

328stig

Thanks Dave .
I agree with you . Many people restore cars then are too scared to use them .
I guess I am looking either for the perfect .... and I mean perfectly .... restored 1750 or one that has a good base that I can totally strip and rebuild to perfect condition . Money is not much of an issue but a perfect outcome is .
I  have some Ferraris ( hence the 328 in my name)  that have been perfectly restored but are difficult to drive in everyday traffic so I really use them . I want my 1750 to drive to work a few times a week and for everyday use when I feel like it .
I had a 1750 in my youth and I recal how easy it is to live with ( relatively ! ) .
I have seen the red car but I am starting to think that I may go to the Alfa Concourse in NSW in a few weeks and see what is there . You never know .....
The ochre car certainly looks great but I really want a red one . I guess I could change it's colour .
I hope someone will jump out and say " hey .. I got a great red 1750 . Do you wan't to buy it !" .

Pete Y

I wouldn't go changing the colour on a concours winning 1750. There are enough red ones out there, good red ones too, that its probably worth waiting if thats what your heart really desires.

Also, wait for a Series 1, they're just a smidge nicer than the S2. THe best red S1 I know of in Australia lives in Cairns, but there are still plenty around.
Mini/'02/Mini/2000 GTV/1750 Berlina/Alfasud Sprint/900 Aero/NB MX5/Punto/Mondeo XR5/up!/MiTo TCT

328stig

Thanks Pete I agree with you . Patience is the name of the game I guess .
I will wait for the red one ... no hurry . It will come along soner or later .

Davidm1600

Hi 328Stig

Given the circumstances you are in, you are in the best place to be, and with Ferraris also in the garage, what more could you want.  The 1750 is such a good user friendly classic. A good idea about checking out the Alfa Concourse.  I recall going to the Victorian Spectaccolo a few years ago and seeing some absolutely lovely 105 coupes and sedans, a few of which were for sale. I have a series 1 1750, which as Pete says is a touch nicer than the series 2. However, that is a personal opinion. I like the look of no over-riders on the bumper bars and the flying buttress seats. My brother in law used to have a series 2.

To revisit ones youth is a great feeling. In part it was also the reason I bought mine as I recalled having a few rides in 1750s as a kid and was totally amazed by the car. It can be a vexed question which way to go, if you can find one that has been totally and properly restored, especially with documentation and low milage, perfect.  The other way is to find a good project and then make sure it is done to your standards.  At least that way you can be totally sure with what you have bought.  Either way, I reckon you are spot on in ensuring that it gets used reguarly.  They need to be used. 

All the best with the search. 

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

328stig

Many thanks , David .

I too had a series 1 over 30 years ago . Wonderful car ... agree that it does look better with the bumber overides etc.

I will keep you all posted on the progress . I look forward to posting a picture of it some day !