1966 Giulia Super Project

Started by ItalCarGuy, December 30, 2010, 04:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

Wow, lovely !

Is that curved battery tray (pop riveted in!) available anywhere, i need one of those?
And how susceptible to greasy finger marks and oil is the vapour blasted metal, is there a temp proof clear coat?
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

ItalCarGuy

Ha! Are you spotting all my greasy prints in the pics?! They seem to clean off ok. I thought about a clear but heard of a few going badly. I figured I'd go au naturale and let it oxidize as nature intended but these bits were done over a year and a half ago and still look great.

As for the battery tray, yes pop riveted! Will be easier to remove when I fit the supercharger, aircon and musical horns. That one was NOS and cost a few dollars out of Germany about 3 years ago. They dont reproduce them. It is usually only the tray that gets shagged so if you can find the guard I am sure you could find a suitably sized generic tray to weld it to and no one would be the wiser.

ItalCarGuy

Actually the head was hot dipped and gets dirty a lot easier so I think there must be a less porous finish after the vapour blasting.

ItalCarGuy

Hmmm, so it seems its been a while since I've updated this thread... :-[

I have been heavily distracted for a while but I figured I better finish this car to a point where I can at least enjoy it! I'm pleased to say it is now on the road. I still have a few things to sort but I they hopefully won't delay me too much. Inability to bleed my brakes sufficiently caused a large stoppage but a friend came through for me and troubleshot that.

Lots of other two steps forward one step back scenarios that I won't bore you with.

Latest thing I did was that I had the widened original 15" steelies powder coated with new tyres and off I went! Pleased that I got all my electrics working well too!

ItalCarGuy

A couple of quick pics from yesterday's drive. Lens was greasy on my phone so I wasn't really trying for the 70's glam shot!

17fitty

Beautiful example Derek-well done to you looks awesome

EZEE

great job Derek - well done, looks lovely

EZ

ItalCarGuy

Thanks 17fitty and EZ, its nice actually having it back on the road. Its been waaaaay too long.

Another shakedown session. Sorted my driveshaft shudder. A few new problems to solve now... Drained battery being the main one.