Bilstein and Koni

Started by Alfamania, October 17, 2015, 04:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfamania

Hi All,

I know this topic has been discussed many times. I just wanted to get an opinion on someone out there with an Alfa 75 that has Bilstein B6 or Koni yellow. I am considering an upgrade for mine and hearing that the Bilstein B6 is a bit harsh  :) so i am considering the Koni yellows

Thanks
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Mazda Rx7 13B Extend port -Turbo
Ford XE ESP 5.8
Mazda RX-4 Coupe 13B Extend Port

GTVeloce

What other mods do you have to the suspension? Ride height? T bar size etc?

I had Bilstein B6's on my GTV and they weren't harsh at all. Rebuilt the front suspension with much larger t bars and other parts and whilst it handles much better now it is not quite as smooth with the same B6's.

Alfamania

I have standard t bars. Also looking at going polyurethane bushes in the front as most of my rear already is. Car will be slightly lowered with eibach pro kit in the rear and possibly slightly adjusting the front to suit the rear height😊
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Ford XE ESP 5.8

alfa75gta

When I purchased my 75 3.0 12 years ago it had Bilsteins fitted with 28mm bars and equivalent rear springs.  On the track it was great - but the track is smooth.  For road use I found the Bilsteins simply too harsh so I replaced them with Koni yellows.  Initially I fitted the Koni's on their softest settings (I was advised to do this) but I found that they didn't match with the spring rates well at all. They were much less harsh but the car would float too much and felt a bit limp.  Winding them up a couple of turns made all the difference and now they are a great compromise between control and comfort.  I like my suspension quite firm and the Konis provide this, without the no-compromise harshness of the Billies.  Therefore, I think Konis are the way to go.  As far as I know they are cheaper than Bilsteins too..
1990 Alfa 75 3.0
1986 Giulietta 2.0
1985 Giulietta 2.0
1982 Alfetta 3.0
1978 Alfetta GTV
1970 Giulia 1600 Super
1964 Giulia 1600 Ti

Alfamania

Looks like the Koni are the way to go.... Did you have bilstein b6?
Alfa GT 3.2
Maserati Gransport
Alfa 75 V6 3.0
BMW 318i e36
Saab 9000cs
Ford XE ESP 5.8

rowan_bris

I have had both in GTV6s, 75s and Alfetta sedans.  The Konis are less harsh but I would get them revalved to suit bigger bars which means they are significantly more expensive...