Help

Started by V AR 164, October 11, 2015, 12:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Hey guys,

I'm not to happy at the moment.

I picked up some 156 wheels yesterday (Thanks Scott!!). However, in the process of fitting them I have learnt a valuable lesson. Do not over-tighten things. I got the rear wheels on and they looked great! No problems there. However, the front wheels didn't go to plan. I tried on the drives side first. It was on but the wheel was still wobbling due to the bolts not going in far enough, so I tightened them some more and the wheel was on perfectly. However, when I came to take them off, I realised I had destroyed 2 out of five threads in the hubs and all the bolts were stripped...

Anyone know if I can re thread the hub with a tapping tool? I'm not too concerned about the bolts as I reckon I can get them from Mark at Milano spares.

As of now, the car is sitting with the front drivers side wheel off and the front raised up on jack stands. Unable to drive it. I need it up and running asap.

Any advice please?
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

colcol

Get some new or good second hand bolts and try them in the hub, if they are tight or wobble, you will need to get another good second hand hub or you could put some thread inserts in the old damaged hub,  recoils or helicoils will do it, i have stripped the thread in the drum in the 33 and recoiled it about 20 years ago and it still works ok, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

V AR 164

Thanks Colin,

I got lucky on this occasion. After an hour of cleaning out the threads and slowly screwing in another bolt and taking it out again a few times, I got the bolts to go in.

All good, such a relief.

I just need to get shorter bolts now and the front wheels can go on.

Thanks, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Mick A

Quote from: V AR 164 on October 11, 2015, 06:10:57 PM
I got lucky on this occasion. After an hour of cleaning out the threads and slowly screwing in another bolt and taking it out again a few times, I got the bolts to go in.

I wouldn't ever want to be a passenger in your car mate, those threads are now fucked. They will never be strong enough, replace the hub or risk your wheel falling off one day.

Mick.

V AR 164

Don't appreciate your language but appreciate your advice.

The threads in the hub have the same "grabbing depth" as the one on the other side of the car. It needed to be cleaned out and they now go in and come back out fine. Probably the reason for the metal shavings was I don't believe the hub was threaded all the way through and when the bolts hit the end, they dug in and stripped the thread on the bolt, but not the hub itself as the bolts were only ruined at the very end. I'll have it looked over by my mechanic just to be sure though.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Mick A

Quote from: V AR 164 on October 11, 2015, 08:03:06 PM

I appreciate safety.

Stephen Aarons

Quote from: Choderboy on October 11, 2015, 08:08:58 PM
Quote from: V AR 164 on October 11, 2015, 08:03:06 PM

I appreciate safety.

I second that. Safety should be the number one concern. Replace the hub and play it safe.
1989 75 3.0 (Weekend Toy)
1982 GTV6 (Project)
        oo=v=oo
2001 156 (TS Cup Car)
2015 Nissan Navara (Daily drive/Tow car)

Potsie

I think Mick was using a 'technical' Mechanics term with his description of the hub threads :)
2010 159 2.4 JTDm - my daily driver
2014 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm - ex. wife's daily driver
e. alfamowing@gmail.com (for all your lawn mowing needs)

Neil Choi

Be nice all, we are here to seek help and help others, nicely.