QLD Newbie

Started by HBAR, August 25, 2015, 06:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HBAR

Hi All,
Have just acquired myself a 1983 GTV 2.0L Previously owned one back in '79, but then sold it some 5 years later. Had an urge/need to go 'Back to the Future' and try again. Car is red, currently unregistered and will be that way for a while until we tidy up a few things - maybe a lot of things.
Located some 3 hours north of Brisbane up on the Fraser Coast enjoying the fine weather.
Submitting my paperwork to join the fraternity, and once approved, will start asking all and many on who does what, supplies what etc. that is, if my forum searches fail.
Please do not request photos as I have forgotten how to upload, (Note to self - learn again).
Anyway hoping to catch up with members thru' the forum and out and about.

ItalCarGuy

Welcome! I know a few alfa/fiat nutters from the Sunny Coast up to Bundaberg. I am sure they will pop up once you start showing pics :P and asking questions. At least parts prices are still reasonable for the Alfettas.

poohbah

Welcome HBar. I bought an 81 GTV myself a couple of months back. It has had its issues, but I still love it!
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

HBAR

Thanks for the warm welcome. Have uploaded a few photos.
Car arrived on the trailer, offloaded the next day and since then we have driven it out/in of the workshop each day. Hopefully time will allow me to have a closer look at what I have. Tossed in the dash photo just to let you all know I either get a better one, or find someone who can re-furbish mine. (Dashboard Restorations in Brisbane are now closed/moved?).
Brakes are next, new rear rotors, f & r pads & front caliper kits & pistons. All parts have arrived so will start next week.
I will attempt to record/capture part numbers and photos of any work done. Will be happy to share if anyone has a need.

17fitty

Welcome and nice original looking gtv .When your heading through Gympie-Sunnycoast send me a pm and if we organise a run ill let you know.Look forward to your updates.
Cheers

HBAR

Thanks for the invite, but as can be seen in the photo we are not quite mobile yet. All 4 x calipers rebuilt, new rear rotors and pads, new front pads. Making all new brake lines. B/M/CYL & C/M/CYL away being SS sleeved and kitted. Carby kits arriving next week as are new donuts, centre bearing etc. Like many others - a work in progress.

poohbah

Having only recently replaced the donuts and centre bearing in my GTV, just wondering if there is a Constant Velocity Driveshaft Conversion available similar to the one you can get for the Lotus Elan?

Saw it on telly, and sure looks like an elegant permanent solution for the inevitable deterioration of the old rubber couplings.
http://elantrikbits.com/lotus-elan-blog/how-to-cure-donut-failure/

No doubt it would be costly though.
            1981 GTV

HBAR

Managed to get the Dellorto's overhauled with new kits from Thornbury Carburettor Service. Also managed to get my trusty wooden rear hatch strut replaced with a new hydraulic one.

poohbah

Ha. I still keep my "wooden strut" in the boot just in case, after replacing the gas strut last month. I'm amazed the missus still hasn't noticed the back-up "lock" from one of the sliding doors has gone AWOL...
            1981 GTV