147 GTA Selespeed problems

Started by zippytheclown, August 14, 2015, 11:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zippytheclown

ok, laugh now, get it out of the way, yes I bought a 147 GTA selespeed, more fool me eh?  But it's an awesome car to drive apart from one niggling issue.

While I'm driving, when I take off or slow down, sometimes on gear change it cuts out momentarily, sounds the alarm, and comes up with "Motor Control System Failure" on the dash.  It usually keeps running provided I'm moving.  Sometimes it cuts out when I'm pulling up to a stop, or reverse-first, first-reverse which means having to come to a complete stop, foot on the brake, key off then restart because you can't start the sele's unless they are completely stopped and your foot is hard on the brake, then into gear.  Most of the time if I'm at constant speed like on the highway it's fine but then it will just randomly blink off-on which trips off the cruise control if I'm using it.  Clutch doesn't slip, although it hops a bit when cold, but I just accept that because it's cold and I'm trying to back it up a slope to get out of my driveway, when it's warm it operates fine.  Seems to change alright on manual mode, although it holds on to gears longer than I'd like in "City" mode, don't know if thats normal or not so I don't use it, more fun flipping up and down the gears manually anyway. 

In a nutshell, the gearbox and clutch seem to be operating normally apart from the cutting out problem

It's getting very annoying.  So I took it to Alfamotive here in Brisbane and he eventually diagnosed an actuator fault.  I'd rather not pay $2000-3000 so if anybody out there can offer any advice on which particular component it might be, or anything else I can try first before shelling out, have at it!!
'03 Holden Commy XYII Work Ute (Monday to Friday Car)
'04 147 GTA Sele (Saturday Car)
'07 Alfa GT V6 (Sunday Car)
'82 Alfasud 1.5 Sprint Veloce (Money Pit)

VeeSix

:D
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

zippytheclown

It would appear (after talking to the mechanic) that the problem is most likely the clutch actuator electro-valve, i.e. the valve that operates the clutch on gear change.  It doesn't seem to be making it's full range of movement during operation, which suggests that the O-rings may be leaking, causing the clutch to not operate correctly, making the ECU spit tacks when it changes gear, even though it changes gears satisfactorily while driving.  Logically it makes sense, the sele is changing gears while the clutch (as far as the ecu is concerned) is not at full travel, and because the valve is losing pressure, that would explain the random cut-outs at constant revs like highway use.. Anyway, I'm prepared to blow $50 finding out but I wouldn't know where to look for these O-rings.  I have a couple of emails sent to UK, but they're still sleeping I guess, hopefully get an answer later tonight, but meanwhile, if anybody has any suggestions on where these O-rings can be sourced locally?

pasey25

As discussed on aus alfa, check your battery terminals first. You've provided a bit more information here so I'll add some more thoughts.

I've replaced my electrovalve, but the symptoms were difficulty engaging gear, never an engine cutout. I've never had the selespeed system cause a car shutdown.

The electrovalve may well be faulty, but this may be unrelated. Actually I understand the valve is actuated when engaging( I.e pushing the clutch pedal)  the clutch, not when the clutch is engaged in gear in highway driving so it doesn't gel that losing pressure while highway driving causes a system shutdown. If it was losing pressure it would mean that it wouldn't change gear once you slowed down

Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

Mick A

Before anyone slags off the selespeed on the GTA, be aware that it is a completely different system to those on the 156's and 147's. It is much more advanced and reliable.

-mick

Darryl

Quote from: Choderboy on August 15, 2015, 08:15:36 PM
Before anyone slags off the selespeed on the GTA, be aware that it is a completely different system to those on the 156's and 147's. It is much more advanced and reliable.

-mick

Yes, not laughing at all. Well done finding one!  8)

zippytheclown

Ok, after some time spent under the bonnet, and a diagnosis on a laptop by Bazz, it appears that the selespeed actuator is not the problem.  I'm starting to think it's going to be a sensor, or connection somewhere that is loose or dirty, or maybe even a broken wire or something, good luck finding that eh?

pasey25

based on my experience with a 147 GTA selespeed, it sounds like a power connection somewhere
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100