coolant around inlent manifold chrome pipe

Started by daximus27, September 06, 2015, 09:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daximus27

Hi I'm looking into getting a 1990 164 v6 Alfa Romeo now the car runs and drives good. Although I noticed that there's a bit of coolant around 2 of the inlet chrome pipes where it meets. Is this normal is there a cooling passages around there. Also the car temp runs around less the half way but even when first started the max coolant red lights comes on and off. Any advice would be much apriciated thanks in advance.

ARQ164 Shane

Hi Daximus,
my coolent light is also on all the time and the garge reads less then 1/2
I am going to swop it today
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

daximus27

Hi thanks for replying back do u have any coolant seeping through the chrome inlet manifold where it meets thehead cheers

Sheldon McIntosh

I've never owned a 164, but I've taken the engine out of a couple.  From memory, yes there is a coolant passage into the air inlet, something to do with keeping *something* warm.  At the time I remember thinking it was a pretty good idea, but as you've found out, it's something else that can go wrong.  Sounds like nothing that can't be fixed with a hose-clamp though.

Tell us more about the red light.  Does it only come on once when you start the car, or does it constantly flash?

daximus27

Hi red light stays on then goes then stays solid and goes away is intermittent.

ARQ164 Shane

TTS520 - Water Temperature Switch (Warning Light and Gauge)
Tools

• Spanner: 22mm
• Thread: M18 x 1.5
• Operating Temp: 115°C
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car