Work in Progress

Started by Mat Francis, June 15, 2008, 05:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat Francis

Well, she's still a long way off, and she'll never quite regain her former glory, but at least it's one less sacrifice to the car god's.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Mat Francis

some more
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Evan Bottcher

What's this going to be Mat?  Road or race?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Mat Francis

i would love to say road car, but it would just take too long and cost too much. So this one is destined to be the "mean-ass stripped-out track b*tch." Hopefully by the end of this year? I doubt things will go that smoothly for us though.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Luke

Wow Mat, end of this year is a tight deadline to meet (it certainly would be for me anyway.)

What are your plans for the engine?

Best of luck to you!

Mat Francis

End of the year is probably a bit optimistic, but it would be nice. Dad's doing the tricky stuff while i get the easy, time consuming stuff done at the moment, and we are making pretty good progress. The engine will get a budget re-build where needed; rings, bearings, etc. Found a set of 10548's lying around in the shed, so we'll whack them in, but apart from that it's just going to be standard.
The logic here is
a) i can't afford to go nuts on it, even if i wanted to,
b) i want to learn to really drive the thing properly before getting behind the wheel of anything really fast,
c) it's still gonna be a hell of a lot of fun for near enough to nothing

It will also be nice to know that if something gets broken properly i will still have a road car, which is a really good incentive to make progress quickly. It's not going to be the prettiest/fastest car going around, but as far as practicality i think we're onto a winner  ;D
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Evan Bottcher

So are you going for standard class, or the new 'modified' class?  The new modified class will be basically similar to current super-modified class.  Details will be finalised shortly I expect.  You're already in super modified this season due to R tyres I guess.

Looks like a great bit of fun though.  I love sedans.  Ssh don't tell Sheldon.  :-P
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Mat Francis

It's looking like modified is the way to go, as we won't be putting the interior or bumpers or any of that back on. and yes plus the tyres, and it needs a new exhaust, and the huge advantage that an extra 1/4" of pipe is going to give me would make it utterly unfair to run in standard class!!!

Oh and as for sedans, i bet not many people are aware of what they weigh. In standard form, with nothing removed, (  ;D) and a full tank of fuel, (according to the Haynes manual, covering 73-87, all models inc. GTV) 1060kg. Minus whatever i can pull out, of course. Whats that, a GTV has to be lighter you say, it only has 2 doors! Well, you would be right, it does have 2 doors, with a free 170kg! (1230 with a tank of fuel, again says the manual) someone correct me if i am wrong of course, but to me that is a LOT of free horsies!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Sheldon McIntosh

Sounds like a big difference, but if Haynes says so....  As magazine Editor I can confirm that anything committed to print is 100% factually correct.

The 90 is lighter than a GTV6 also.

Mat Francis

You're right, it does sound like a lot, but it does keep me very happy to continue believing it.
Once this car is near completion i'll take it to the weigh bridge down the road and hopefully put a real number on it.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Paul Gulliver

Matt,

Your right those are the weights noted in the Haynes manual. I thought it sounded a big difference so i pulled out my old owners instruction booklets for both cars. ( I have owned a 77 Alfetta sedan & 1980 GTV over the years). The 77 Alfetta sedan is noted at 1060 kg and the 1980 GTV at 1080 kg, both with full tanks.

Perhaps the factory has  the same set of scales as my wife.

Cheers

Paul
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Jekyll and Hyde

QuotePerhaps the factory has  the same set of scales as my wife.

I'm assuming that Mrs. Gulliver is not computer literate?  ;D

Mat Francis

Thanks Paul, that does, unfortunately for me i suppose, sound a lot more like it.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

pep105

Yes will vouch for the GTV weighing in at 1080kg (I think 1100kg with air con) as the manual states and have read the fetta weighs 1060Kg

Matt nice work with the Alfetta one of my favourite Alfas, boxy, fun well balanced and great exhaust note
should make a great track car, get the suspension right and a good strong engine with the 10548s plus reduced weight and Bobs your uncle.
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Mat Francis

some progress/acquisitions from the Francis Alfetta yard. The section under the rear screen is starting to come along, and the seat was exchanged for a six pack, a pretty good deal as far as i'm concerned.

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie