Twin Spark Sports Sedan Race Car?

Started by GR-124, August 23, 2015, 07:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GR-124

One of my (may) dreams is to put together a space frame sports sedan. I have a small budget.
My thoughts, a FWD (East West) 2LT 16v TS engine mounted as a North South coupled to the Alfetta Transaxle. I understand there will be fabrication of engine mounts. machining and shortening of tailshafts etc.

My First and foremost question is related to the mounting of the block in the chassis. I have never seen FWD twin spark block in the flesh and how and where it is mounted in a road car. Lots of googling for pics but have got nowhere ATM.

Does anyone have some photos of a block with the mounts fitted?

discussion is open :)

Duk

Perhaps ask on AlfaBB and maybe also on GTV6.com about this engine.
I've read more than once about how they can have oiling problems to the main bearings.
Perhaps a 2.5 litre 24v V6??? They're cheap, but I suppose it comes down to the class you want to race in.

If you do have to have an NA 2 litre, and I know this'll hurt some fealings, why not a more power capable engine straight out of the box? Like a Honda S2000 engine????  ;D
It'd be just as much work as the FWD engine, but ahhhhhhhhh, it haz mor powaz!  ;)
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

GR-124

Hi Duk, yeah I was looking at various alfa Vee sixs. But I'm looking at bang for a small budget. As to which capacity class doesn't bother me but a 4 pot 2lt is cheaper to repair/replace etc and less stress on the transaxle. I do have some Nord engines lying around but a stock TS with 150HP. I figure ya can pick up a wreck with TS 16v pretty cheap and stick it in a car with the stock EFI set up for a start.

As for the S2000 Honda donk, 9000 RPM and 237HP stock "oh yeah" they are the ultimate. but it all comes down to the dollar :(

I would like to know more about the oiling of mains being an issue. Anyone?
I suppose I require my first question sorted as to whether it is going to be a big issue mounting it.

giulia_veloce

Hi GR 124

I presume you are building a race car Sports Sedan for raceing purpose only.??
Thats how I read it.

I have 2 sports sedans which I don't use cause no competitive raceing for them.
Maybe build a car that's suits VELOCE Raceing rules,which most of us race in.

Would you rather race by yourself with other brands,,or with 20 + other Alfas ?

Tell us what you really want to do.

Robert

GR-124

Hi Robert, you raise a very good point. Yes I'd like to build a purpose built race car. I see no other category that is as free as the Sports Sedan build rules. I have this massive itch to build a space framed car with lightweight fibreglass body. Just between me and you I think I may enjoy the build more than the racing :-\ ???

As to what I race against, well the issue is I'm not too sure, I know there is a larger under 2Lt class fleet in Victora, but in NSW not sure of numbers. ATM I'd be happy to run around a track in sprints.
I've had no experience in racing cars around a track only Karts and I had a sports sedan Alfetta which I only used in hill climb events.