Please help to identify model

Started by Nedloh, June 09, 2008, 07:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nedloh

could someone please help me to identify a model of alfa. the photo is not good and is the only photo i have. i have been told this alfa is rare. it has been raced years ago back in the 70's i think as i have never seen it race as i was to young. (i was born in '77) it was raced by my uncle in victoria. it has sat in his garage for the past 30 years. it is still in race trim. he once told me the model but i can not remember. my uncle passed away on ANZAC day 2008 and i would like to know what model it is.

Ishamael

I would love to know what it is as well :D

I'm no expert with alfa's, by a long shot, but I have not seen an alfa like that.

The closest thing I can think of that looks similar is a Monreal, but the windows are different.

It does have the same door handles as a 3rd/4th series spider.
1973 GTV 2000 105

Ishamael

Actually, at the risk of sounding like a real retard. 

That car looks more like a ferrari?

Plenty of Ferrari's made in the 70's look like that car - same body shape, same door handle, same rims.

Example a Ferrari 400:
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/6908/ferrari400i29dx.jpg
1973 GTV 2000 105

Ishamael

1973 GTV 2000 105

Nedloh

I know the silver car is a ferrari. an '85 mondial 8. i would like to know what the red alfa infront of it is. like i said its the only photo i have. I'm asking for help not a smart ass.

Mat Francis

Ease up Nedloh, i doubt Ishmael was trying to waste your time there, just a bit of confusion. Had you been asking about the Ferrari like he thought you were, you would of just got quite a comprehensive answer, would you not? i know very little about the 105 series cars, but by the single headlights i would guess it is a Junior of some model? Thats all the help i can give you, i'm sure there's somebody who will be able to tell you more though. 
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Colin Byrne

based on the alfa heart and the mirror it looks as though it might be a 1300 GTA (or replica)
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

ItalCarGuy

Perhaps if you could tell us your uncle's name I'm sure one of the 'older' members would have known him.

Brett

Nedloh.......mmmmm........holden backwards :) I was actually looking at the frazza too, easy to misunderstand.

Nedloh

yeah, Nedloh is holden backwards. sorry i am more of holden fan but i can appriecate a good car when i see one. my uncle's name is Mario Marasco.

vin sharp

Sad to hear about your Uncle's passing. Mario was around the Victorian state racing scene in the '70s.
When I worked for Paul England engineering back then, I used to see Mario often as he brought in various engine bits for rebuild.  Mario was the sort of driver who really hung it out on the limit all the time, or exited in spectacular fashion!
He did race the ex-MW Motors 1600 GTA, but Sid of MW Motors told me that it was written off at the old Hume Weir track in the early '70s. He  built up another GT after that which he continued to race. I think Charlie at the Italian Job has most of the original GTAs parts.
If you can get a chassis number, I can tell you what it was.
Cheers,
Vin.

Ishamael

Quote from: Nedloh on June 10, 2008, 12:42:06 PM
I know the silver car is a ferrari. an '85 mondial 8. i would like to know what the red alfa infront of it is. like i said its the only photo i have. I'm asking for help not a smart ass.

Mate I was not trying to be a smart ass.

If you look at the time of my post, I work nightshift and I'm half asleep.  Perhaps if your original post mentioned that it was the car in front that you wanted identified, then I would not of spent 30 minutes trying to help you.

Glad the other guys were able to help you anyway.
1973 GTV 2000 105

Nedloh

Thanks Vin. that sounds like him. He always scared the crap out of me when i was in a car with him.

Sorry Ishamael, looking back maybe i should have stated which car. my bad.

ItalCarGuy

So what is the destiny of this car. Any Alfa that was raced in the 70's is of interest and value I reckon. It would be great to see some better shots of it and under the bonnet :)

Davidm1600

I think Vin and a couple of the other replies are correct.  If you look at the windscreen shape across the roof and where the windscreen pillar joins the front guards, let alone the large single headlights and narrow Alfa shield then definitely I would agree it is a 105 coupe. 

However, without a better photo I suspect it would be impossible to determine if it is a 1300 GTA, replica built from parts or simply a normal 1300 Junior or 1600 sprint veloce or 1600 Junior. I can't tell from the photo if it is a step bonnet or flush bonnet car.  If step bonnet then it is a 1960's 105, if flush bonnet then a '70s car.  If it is a genuine GTA then it is extremely rare and highly valuable $100K + if not then less rare and valuable, albeit still a great car.

The 105 was and still makes a good race car.

Hope that helps. Vin or a some of the other long term Vic club members who may have known you uncle should be able to help you more.

Cheers
Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina