ALFA 90 starting issue and wiring diagram

Started by RobC, June 19, 2015, 10:08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobC

Hi. Just recently purchased an '86 2.5L  Alfa 90.  Drove home well but wouldn't start next day-petrol and power to coil Ok-about to pull plugs etc as start of basic checks but I understand I should check the AAV reed switch (suggestions how please/remove AAV?) and there is a particular relay also to check-location please?   I'd also like to get my hands on a workshop manual if any available to buy or in particular the wiring diagram (non-working rear tail and stop lights).

john m

Hi Rob
Congratulations on your purchase, some refer to the 90 being a 4 door version of the GTV6, same performance and handling  ;)
I've never experienced your problem but you can read through Greg Gordan's (USA) fault check below, he covers the AAV but some components on the US cars are different to Aust models, like our cars do'nt have a NOX sensor not to be confused with the cold start sensor and carbon canisters. Good luck...

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/Ljetronic.htm
Now
84: GTV6 White-stock
84: Giulietta Red-club sprints
69: GTV1750 Red-on blocks
Then
71: Berlina 2000 man.-UK import

17fitty

Hi Rob,
Congrats on the 90.I have experienced this problem several times with 90s especially if they have sat around.I found the fuel relay was the culprit.What i do is wind the car over whilst giving the fuel relay a tap(located on the rh inner guard below expansion bottle and easily tappable whilst turning key)If this doesnt work they are easy to pull apart and clean the contacts.Spent hours trying to start mine and replacing pump etc and thats all it was.Hope yours is as simple.

17fitty

PS-Also make sure battery is fully charged and plugs super clean

RobC

Thanks guys..weekend coming up so I'll give these try.  Remembering what it's  like to work on "less-new " cars ...been a while but nice to have an Alfa again.