164 'Restoration'

Started by V AR 164, June 09, 2015, 11:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick A

VeeSix

Second that last comment, wheel lettering looks great, what particular type of paint did you use?
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

V AR 164

Thanks guys!

The letters are actually stickers. They introduced at work as a new product so I thought I would try them out. They are a bit pricey but I think it is definately worth it.

http://search.supercheapauto.com.au/search?w=Tire%20stickers

They come in packs of 4 and have special glue that you stick them on with. Been driving with them on for a few hundred km now and haven't had any issues.

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Citroënbender

Interesting product! The high price probably deters people from writing silly stuff a bit.

V AR 164

Quote from: Citroënbender on October 10, 2017, 08:08:47 PM
Interesting product! The high price probably deters people from writing silly stuff a bit.

Yes that's true too.

Did some more work today on the Q. Finally got around to painting the entire underneath with underbody rust protector spray paint. It comes out a wrinkle satin black finish, looks much cleaner now. Also painted the exhaust with ceramic exhaust paint, also turned out good.

Gives me some piece of mind knowing the underside is protected if I ever get caught in some rain.

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

V AR 164

Well, its time to resurrect this thread once more, this time with yet another car build.

As most of you know, another Q has joined the family at the 164 residence. Despite the cars excellent exterior condition, the interior leaves much left to be desired. I am starting to pull the whole interior to bits, and remove any unnecessary stuff that is not needed. This one in definite need of some TLC, as seen by all the wires sprinkled around the car.

Although engine issues may be more problematic, my first job that needs addressing the 10 kilometres of additional wiring installed by the previous owner. The car had a full sound system, but when I bought it, the speakers and amps were removed, but the wiring remained.

The fuel pump was also run off a separate relay, which was connected into the front window winder switches. I bypassed this completely, but I believe that the fuel pump was turned off and on when the window button was pressed  :o Plus all the switches have been soldered together with speaker cable for some reason...

An aftermarket alarm was also installed, which has cemented my HATRED for these bloody things!!! Honestly, do NOT even think about installing one. It is a complete waste of time and effort, resulting in a system which never works properly and makes a complete mess of the factory wiring with relays and fuses placed all over the place.

The dashboard has also been cut up and manipulated. The previous owner had an ipad installed in the dashboard, and as a result, has cut out all the original headunit support mounts, so my parts car is going to ever so kindly donate a complete dash assembly...

So far here is some of the cables I have removed:

Still a lot to go though. Next job is taking out the seats and pulling out the black carpet. The original carpet is underneath and in decent condition so that will stay.

Stay tuned for more updates, I have finally scored some days off between work and uni, so I can get some car stuff done.

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

ARQ164 Shane

Hi Andrew
I have a good top of the consol
With vents of you need one .
If you pm a list I will see if I have it
In my parts

Cheers
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

poohbah

Crikey Andrew, can't believe what the guy did to her on the inside. What a potential fireball in waiting! Hope no hidden surprises and that you get her tidied up without drama.

And who installs an ipad in the dash of such a stylish car? I saw something similar (some god awful ipad-style big screen stereo unit) on a 156 some guy was trying to sell over here a while ago. It looked ridiculous as well as covering up the clock, temp and fuel gauges. No wonder it took months to sell.
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

stustustu123

Whoa, big job fixing all that wiring. Good luck Andrew, let me know if you need any bits. Got a whole dash and centre console here which aren't perfect but def better than that one. Interesting to see the 24v door cards have been installed and would love to know how the conversion between the different opening mechanisms has been done.
2007 159 SW 2.4 JTDM
1993 164 Super
Past:
1994 164 Super (Blue)
1992 164Q (Black)
1989 164 (White)
1988 75 3.0 V6
1983 Sud Ti

bazzbazz

In the RAAF we used to call it "Rats Nest Wiring Syndrome".
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

V AR 164

Yes, indeed a big job to fix all the wiring. I have essentially removed every aftermarket wire and have started to strip the whole interior down for a clean. Plus going through the wiring harness to make sure nothing else has been tampered with.

Had an hour or so tonight so I got to work removing the seats, black carpet, centre dash component and the centre console.

I have got the recaro interior removed and am very tempted to install it in my red Q. I think red on tan would look awesome and black on black in the new car would be pretty sweet too. I would however need black 24v doorcards if I was to swap interiors around.

The previous owner has cut away metal armrest tabs to mount the 24v doorcards, and has completely removed the 'push/pull lever' system in the door. In its place, a tube with a metal rod has been somehow connected to the factory door lock mechanism. Meaning I cannot go back to the series 1 door cards, which is a bit annoying as the new ones don't seem to fit as well. I will post up some more pics tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer of parts as well Shane and Stu, for now I seem to have everything I need in my parts car.

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Citroënbender

It's always nice to see someone else suffering wiring headaches!

Had the doors been fitted with aftermarket power locking kits, too?

V AR 164

Quote from: Citroënbender on March 11, 2018, 10:51:46 PM
It's always nice to see someone else suffering wiring headaches!

Had the doors been fitted with aftermarket power locking kits, too?

A wiring headache is an understatement hahaha.

Yup, the car had an alarm system fitted which controlled the factory central locking from a remote key fob. I unplugged the alarm control box, pulled it out, hit it with a hammer a few times and removed all the wiring from the car. MUCH better  ;D
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

ARQ164 Shane

Have you checked out what going on with
The suspension wiring the boot ?
I have just sorted my out and the only wire
You need is the red one that go to the rad fan
Relay
So I wrapped all the other wiring up in a plastic bag
To keep out water and dust.

Cheers
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

V AR 164

Quote from: ARQ164 Shane on March 12, 2018, 09:02:30 AM
Have you checked out what going on with
The suspension wiring the boot ?
I have just sorted my out and the only wire
You need is the red one that go to the rad fan
Relay
So I wrapped all the other wiring up in a plastic bag
To keep out water and dust.

Cheers

No I haven't messed around with the car's factory wiring as of yet, everything seems to work so I have left everything be for now  :)

Well from what it was, I think it looks half decent!

Got a new dash vent and centre console from my parts car and installed them to bring the car back to its factory trim. Still need to install the new glovebox compartment, door cards and the steering wheel shroud but she's getting there.

The blue carpet is in half decent condition, however the glue the previous owner used to glue the black carpet onto the side carpet panels has ruined it due to the lines of glue visible.

Also took out the recaro's and put them in my red car. I think the red bodywork with the tan interior looks great, and the original black Q interior when into the black car.

Today is the job of pulling the valve covers to decide if the engine is toast or not... I'll keep everyone informed.

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti