164 'Restoration'

Started by V AR 164, June 09, 2015, 11:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtv6sv

Quote from: poohbah on October 13, 2016, 09:23:29 PM

Just realised that's a stupid question, you said it has springs. I'll go back to sleep...

Funny you say that, my Q has both Springs and struts, still didn't stay open haha!
1970 1750 Berlina
1983 GTV 2.0
1985 GTV6 2.5
1991 164 Q 12V
1992 33 16V S
1999 GTV Twin Spark

VeeSix

Early models had springs later models struts  :)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

GTVeloce

I fixed the boot of my 75 (springs) that was sagging by installing a similar length but smaller diameter spring (from bunnings) inside the existing spring on one side only i.e. it now has three springs but it worked. I now no longer need to prop it up with my head and it cost me peanuts.

V AR 164

Again, I'm pretty angry. I have just spent the past 6 months preparing the Q for its debut for Spettacolo. The last few weeks have been hectic trying to prepare it ready for registration, after spending countless dollars on roadworthies, unregistered vehicle permits and repairs, I go to register it this evening on club rego only to find out it is not possible as the car is not '25 years old'.

Now in theory, it certainly is. It was manufactured in October 1991, which works out to be 25 years and one month. HOWEVER, VicRoads go off the Australian compliance plate date, which is January 1992, which means it's only 24 years and 10 months.

So in short, I have been unable to register it (I don't want to spend $700 for normal rego, for a car that will only be driven a few times).

Pretty disappointed to say the least. Just informing people of this absoubtley stupid rule and to not make the mistake I did.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

Victor Lee

Per the compliance plate, the car's 25th anniversary is January 2017.  But as Vicroads do not record days of the month, I suggest do not go back there until 1st February 2017.  I had the same happen to me and told to come back the following month. 
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

LukeC

Another temporary rego... for Sunday at least?

Do VicRoads allow you to pay for three months, like ACT? Also, normally an inspection certificate is only valid for 1 month. Then change it to club rego...
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

V AR 164

It has an unregistered vehicle permit that actually is still valid up until the 27th. Although the conditions of use only say 'To get the car ready for a roadworthy'. So not sure if I should risk it?

I was considering getting full rego and then transferrring it to club and getting a refund, but right now I really can't afford it.

Thanks for the info Victor, I will do so.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

John Hanslow

Of course you could drive it to Spettacolo if you were meeting someone to seek, advice and guidance to resolve a mechanical issue ... ?

That's what i have heard enthusiasts say at other events with similar mechanical issues that have just come to light ...

JH
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

V AR 164

Hey guys,

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for putting on such an awesome day today. It was great talking to some very knowledgable people (Steve and Patrick), you guys were awesome!

On a less happy note, on the way home I had a massive problem in the Q. Firstly the throttle would stick on and keep accelerating with me not pressing the pedal. Then when I put it in neutral it would rev to 2.5k and back down again, and repeat, like it was surging.

I turned the car off and back on again. The problem went away for around 10m down the road until it completely cut out. I pulled over and it would not start again.

We waited for it to cool down and we managed to get it to run, but idle like it was on 3 cylinders, and backfiring very badly.

So now the car is on the side of the road and will be towed tomorrow.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? I should also add when it finally started, I press the accelerator and it would do nothing, not increase revs at all. My only assumption would be a throttle position sensor?

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

stustustu123

Hey Andrew - I saw your cars today but did not get the chance to meet you as I wasn't around very long. :(  Cars looked great by the way!

That's a bugger about the Q. I hope it's parked somewhere safe until tomorrow - doesn't seem to take long for vandals in some areas to attack any cars obviously left sitting/broken down. It kinda sounds to me like there is possibly some sort of air leak - meaning air is possibly entering the system after the AFM. Are there any obvious leaks? Hope it's an easy fix...

Cheers,
Stuart.
2007 159 SW 2.4 JTDM
1993 164 Super
Past:
1994 164 Super (Blue)
1992 164Q (Black)
1989 164 (White)
1988 75 3.0 V6
1983 Sud Ti

V AR 164

Hey guys,

The car is back home. I was just wondering if I would be able to plug in an auto ECU into the Q? Would it be fine? I have a feeling it's the ECU that is giving me grief.

Anyway, here is a video on what my troubles are with the car at the moment. Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/xEMspXRpBek

Cheers, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

LukeC

I can't see it being an issue. These Motronic ECUs are pretty robust... The calibration may be slightly different, but inputs and output pins will be the same.

That tacho needle is surely doing some strange stuff... Which says the negative side of the coil is getting some weird signals.

I would try a different coil first of all.

What a bugga... I was on the way to the men's when you were leaving. It sounded great even bumbling along. Hope its an easy fix. Least you got there.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

LukeC

Pin 28 is grounded in when in Neutral or park.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

V AR 164

Thanks for the info Luke,

I pulled the motronic out this evening and noticed that someone had previously been inside. So me being curious, I carefully opened it up and found something interesting. One of the chips has a handwritten sticker on it saying:

22/2193
QV REVLIMIT
@7000

Any information regarding this? Obviously the revlimiter has been raised from 6.5k to 7k, but what does 22/2139 mean? I believe the car has had engine work done to it before, with larger cams fitted as it has quite a lumpy idle, as you would have heard. This just further confirms my suspicions.

Anyhow, I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to start. I have swapped the coil over from one of my functioning cars this evening and it made no difference. When it does finally try to kick over, it revvs up to around 3k and then dies. I have checked over the whole ignition system and cant fault it.

I have even cleaned out the Idle Stabiliser, Distributor (cleaned points), swapped over ignition leads, adjusted the throttle min/max switch, checked all vacuum lines, intake lines etc. No difference at all.

Not sure what to do from here.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

LukeC

Check that the crank angle sensor is clean and tight.

Check the ECU for fault codes. Festy is the guru on this.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au