164 Coolant

Started by V AR 164, May 16, 2015, 09:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Ok, I hope I'm not annoying everyone with all of my 164 posts, but

Does anyone know how to properly drain and flush the coolant on the 164? From what I can see there are no drain plugs on the bottom of the radiator? I have heard there are drain plugs in the engine block (which I believe I have found one). And to drain the radiator I just remove the bottom radiator hose?

Thanks, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

colcol

Hello Andrew, the forum has been a bit dead lately, so keep up the good posts.
Although i don't have any experience with 164's, drain the radiator by loosening off the bottom hose and loosen the fastener off on the block and see if coolant comes out, but be carefull as its an alloy thread in the block and it may be rusted up.
Don't forget to flush the heater as they can rust up as well.
Undo hoses and flush them with a garden hose.
If the coolant is really dirty it may pay you to put a cleaner through it for a week or so.
If you go down the flushing the coolant with a cleaner path, some people like to remove the thermostat, to give a full flush and to check the thermostat for proper operation while it is out.
When the cooling system is clean, flush all the hoses out with a garden hose and reverse flush the hoses, and don't forget the heater, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

V AR 164

Thanks Colin,

That will be my main focus tomorrow and just wanted to get some insight on how it's done.

Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

colcol

Have a look at Scotty Kilmer on flushing cooling systems on youtube, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]