Should I buy a 2005 3.2 GT?

Started by Andiroid, January 24, 2015, 10:21:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andiroid

Looking to replace my 2002 Selespeed 147. What should I know about GT's?
2013 Giulietta Distinctive Sportiva, 2004 147 Twin Spark 3dr

shiny_car

There's so much to read and learn about.

V6 GTs have a lot in common with 147GTAs and 156GTAs, so also read up about them.

The GT is beautiful, and can be practical too if you're willing to fold the rear seats down. Inside feels more cosy than the other two cars.

They can be improved upon if you find the suspension (harshness) lacking, and definitely 'need' to upgrade any with the standard diff to the Q2 or Quaife versions which won't break.

Obviously ensure it's properly serviced, including water pump and cam belt. Normal wear and tear applies: suspension bushes, shock absorbers, antiroll bar bushes and drop links, steering tie rod ends (all these can contribute to harsh, noisy suspension and adversely affect handling); interior leather on driver's seat, steering wheel stereo control buttons, rubber coating on door grab handles and window switch panels (go tacky and can peel).

I can't answer whether you 'should' or shouldn't buy one. Up to you.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

zippytheclown

yes you should buy an alfa GT V6, just don't do what I did and drive it into a puddle, water was maybe 35-40cm deep, couple of cm's under the door bottom, I watched a couple of other cars drive through no problem, so thought I'd be fine.  I wasn't, find out later today or tomorrow if the insurance will fix it or write it off.
'03 Holden Commy XYII Work Ute (Monday to Friday Car)
'04 147 GTA Sele (Saturday Car)
'07 Alfa GT V6 (Sunday Car)
'82 Alfasud 1.5 Sprint Veloce (Money Pit)

bazzbazz

Quote from: zippytheclown on January 27, 2015, 02:56:14 PM
yes you should buy an alfa GT V6, just don't do what I did and drive it into a puddle, water was maybe 35-40cm deep, couple of cm's under the door bottom, I watched a couple of other cars drive through no problem, so thought I'd be fine.  I wasn't, find out later today or tomorrow if the insurance will fix it or write it off.

Zippy what was the outcome?

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

zippytheclown

Baz, insurance wrote the car off, I bought it back as a repairable write off and I'm using the payout to get it repaired as we speak

bazzbazz

Did you break my record for the most number of Conrods turned into Taffy, or something that resembles Pre-Columbian art - all 4 ???

Did you check out my "CONROD" posting?

"Ruby" WILL be finished this weekend, or I disappear running into the nite screaming!!

Check Six

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

zippytheclown

I don't know how many conrods were bent because we didn't strip the engine, but I suspect not all of them becasue the motor still started and ran, although noisy.  It's now sitting on a pallet in my garage beside my now remotored car which I can't drive until it is removed from the "Written Off Vehicle Register", so, how do you solve the problem of not being able to drive your shiny alfa v6 for another 6+ weeks? you go buy another! I just dropped a fat deposit on a 147GTA sele, pick it up in a couple of days WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!! and yes I would've prefered a manual, but it was such a good price

bazzbazz

Don't worry about it being a Selespeed, the units in the GTAs are a much different device than in the standard 156/147s
and is almost indestructible.

Baz
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

zippytheclown

It was such a good price, I couldn't let it go, hopefully pick it up this wednesday.  If I was worried about it being sele, I wouldn't have bought it, I'd already done some research with the prevailing opinion being 6 speed seles are not as problematic as the 5 speed ones