33 1.7 IE issues

Started by Miss Alfa Sprint, April 22, 2015, 09:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Alfa Sprint

Hi everyone,

I am in need of some advice. My 33's clutch is slipping alot and my mechanic has advised me to replace it soon but not sure how to go about getting a new clutch and for a resonable price having it replaced.

Also my driver's side CV boot is cracked and i am hearing and feeling rattling on the drivers side. 

I don't want to get ripped off by mechanics but at the same time i need to get these things sorted and done properly.

The 33 also after a while starts to shake when stopped at the lights. I have had the throttle adjusted so many times.

Also wondering about fuel choice too. I have got told different things by different people about what brand of fuel and what octane to use etc.

I currently use 95 octane but it is costing me a heap! (because i drive so much....200kms a day!) i am wondering it safe to fill up with 91?

I am planning on getting another car soon for work, but want to keep the 33 for weekends and i really want to fix her up nicely so she is running and looking great again.

More concerned about getting her running well again though!

Would it be cheaper for me to find the parts myself then get the mechanic to fit them? any reccomendations?

Thanks,

Marisa (Miss Alfa Sprint)

1979 Alfasud Sprint Veloce 1.5L (Blue)
1989 Alfa 33 1.7 IE (Red)

To see my amazing photography visit http://www.marisagangemi.com/

colcol

Hello Marisa,
Take your 33 to an Alfa Mechanic who has done work on it before, so that they will know how to do the job, without learning on the job.
Get a quote for labour and ask about the price for a clutch kit, that is pressure plate, friction plate and throw out bearing, don't just replace the friction plate on its own.
Get the constant velocity boot done as soon as possible, as it will throw out grease and pick up dirt and you will need a new constant velocity boot, not to mention the danger of it seizing up and leaving you stranded.
The shaking at the lights could be a million things, dirty spark plugs, spark plug wires, blocked fuel injector, air flow sensor not working properly, throttle plate dirty, vacumn air leaks.
Take it to where they have had experience with these cars, so they can pinpoint the problem straight away.
Use the lowest and cheapest octane rating petrol you can use without it pinging.
Pinging is when the car is laboured up a hill in top gear and the motor sounds like it there are marbles floating around banging against each other in the engine.
It is really bad for your engine, it will damage it and you will need a rebuild, it is caused by uncontroled combustion, when the mixture is fired before the piston gets to the top of the stroke, the octane rating of the petrol may not be high enough.
Go to an independant Alfa Romeo service provider, not a current dealer who have never seen such a fine car as an Alfa 33.
Find out how much they can supply a clutch for and see what you can get one for, use a good brand such as AP, Valeo, Borg and Beck or other well known brands.
Hope this helps, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

hammer

Marissa,

Give Cameron Wright at Automotion a call on 07 3855 1644. They're at 60 pickering st Enoggera in Brisbane. These boys are great Alfa mechanics and work on Alfas of all ages. I'm driving from the Sunny Coast to Brisbane every day for work at the moment so if you want to drop your 33 to Automotion one day I can give you a lift back to the coast.

Feel free to give me a call on 0418 215 259 if you need to discuss.

Cheers,

Brent Hampstead

Miss Alfa Sprint

Quote from: colcol on April 23, 2015, 09:09:59 PM
Hello Marisa,
Take your 33 to an Alfa Mechanic who has done work on it before, so that they will know how to do the job, without learning on the job.
Get a quote for labour and ask about the price for a clutch kit, that is pressure plate, friction plate and throw out bearing, don't just replace the friction plate on its own.
Get the constant velocity boot done as soon as possible, as it will throw out grease and pick up dirt and you will need a new constant velocity boot, not to mention the danger of it seizing up and leaving you stranded.
The shaking at the lights could be a million things, dirty spark plugs, spark plug wires, blocked fuel injector, air flow sensor not working properly, throttle plate dirty, vacumn air leaks.
Take it to where they have had experience with these cars, so they can pinpoint the problem straight away.
Use the lowest and cheapest octane rating petrol you can use without it pinging.
Pinging is when the car is laboured up a hill in top gear and the motor sounds like it there are marbles floating around banging against each other in the engine.
It is really bad for your engine, it will damage it and you will need a rebuild, it is caused by uncontroled combustion, when the mixture is fired before the piston gets to the top of the stroke, the octane rating of the petrol may not be high enough.
Go to an independant Alfa Romeo service provider, not a current dealer who have never seen such a fine car as an Alfa 33.
Find out how much they can supply a clutch for and see what you can get one for, use a good brand such as AP, Valeo, Borg and Beck or other well known brands.
Hope this helps, Colin.

Thanks for your help as always Colin will look into that! will stick to 95 for now. Good news is i am off probabtion at work now so i can start looking for another car more suitable for the long haul  :) but can also fix the 33 up again. It would be awesome to get her running well and maybe one day get the hail damage fixed.

Cheers.

Miss Alfa Sprint

Quote from: hammer on April 24, 2015, 04:49:13 PM
Marissa,

Give Cameron Wright at Automotion a call on 07 3855 1644. They're at 60 pickering st Enoggera in Brisbane. These boys are great Alfa mechanics and work on Alfas of all ages. I'm driving from the Sunny Coast to Brisbane every day for work at the moment so if you want to drop your 33 to Automotion one day I can give you a lift back to the coast.

Feel free to give me a call on 0418 215 259 if you need to discuss.

Cheers,

Brent Hampstead

Thanks Brent!

I will give them a call this week because the 33 is due for an oil change anyway and hopefully get them to look at her and see what they can do! i'll keep you updated :)

Thanks!

Alfapride

Get them to check all the vaccum hoses while you're there and change the rotor in the distributor and distributor cap will do wonders in addition the advice you already got..most of the time with these great cars they just need a freshen up and the serviceable parts are at the end of their life. Best of luck!
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce