Air filter 156 JTS

Started by Kulwinder, April 03, 2015, 03:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kulwinder

Pulled air filter to check. Found this grey thing under MAF sensor. Can I take this off for more air flow. I think it is restricting air flow isn't? Is this thing called cone?

Kulwinder Singh

colcol

No leave it there, if Alfa Romeo thought it restricted flow, they wouldn't have put it there, the filter is the same for the V-6, so it might restrict that.
The only restriction you will get with it is, when its clogged, so change it in a timely manner, ie on time.
The air filters for these cars are getting so cheap now, there is no reason for not changing them on time.
Apart from being not the easiest job in the world to do.
The air pickup is on the left, down at the bottom of the grille, so don't drive through water or you will hydraulic your motor.
When the Queensland floods happened a few years ago, there were a few 156's on Ebay with 'engine problems', Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Mick A

Doing little things like what you suggest only de-value your car. If you want to enhance performance, you need to spend money, not cut things off that should be there.

Kulwinder

I didn't take off. I left it as it was. I had read few forums before. And they were taking about de-cone. For more air flow.
Kulwinder Singh

Mick A

Kulwinder

Garibaldi

Quote from: Choderboy on April 05, 2015, 09:05:44 AM
Doing little things like what you suggest only de-value your car. If you want to enhance performance, you need to spend money, not cut things off that should be there.

Absolutely, I don't know why anyone would want to mess up a car, when they clearly don't know what they are doing, in the search for more power. Car manufacturers spend millions of dollars developing, engineering and testing vehicles to maximise performance, durability and reliability and yet there are people out there with no particular training or credentials that seem to think they know better. As Choderboy said spend the money to get the job done properly or buy a car with the performance you are seeking. The more you spend the faster you go.

cc

As a double check that a previous owner hasnt dropped in an air filter box from a different car.
The vin number could be entered into the eper website and your part compared with the exploded diagram.
eper.fiatforum.com
However forum members with original cars could confirm, and may have done so already : )

Craig_m67

Looks like the top of the airfilter box from a 156/147/GT to me.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)