Possible first Alfa

Started by dellfamily, May 31, 2015, 11:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dellfamily

Hello all.
My wife is really keen on the new Giulietta Distinctive as a replacement for our 2010 Peugeot 308. She loves her Pug but its time to change and the Giulietta is a lovely car and we love its power. My worry is reliability of modern Alfa's as the older cars arent renowned for their reliability. Probably asking the converted but some honest insight would be appreciated. Must say it would feel special to be the owner of an Alfa.

Neil Choi

Mate, welcome to the consideration of getting a Giulietta Distinctive, my wife has one and enjoys it.  Forget about that old adage of Alfa unreliability, rust etc etc, it is just that, OLD.  Cars, new and old, any brand, they all have their little faults and each individual car will have its own individual faults, even to a minor loose earth etc.  You will not hear the positives such as how well my alternator is charging or how well the door shuts, but you will hear loudly on complaint, because human nature likes to complain.  If there is a fault, just take it back to Alfa and have it fixed, it is under warranty. 

But the G is a great car to drive, I presume you will be getting the TCT, great gearbox and far superior to selespeed and don't compare.  You can drive it like a manual and change gears yourself or just let it do it for you and be lazy.  The 1.4T does on real world average about 7L/100km, not 5L.  It has enough power for enough fun without breaking the law.  We took a drive on the GOR and the only limitation was a CAMRY.

The appointment inside the G is in a word, Distinctive or another Elegant.  Get it with the Sportivo pack, ie suspension, wheels and leather.

I can keep going but please get one and join the Distinctive club as it is distinctive on the road and looks so much better than your CAMRY or MAZDA.  Oh wait, the Mazda 3 looks like or copied the G.

Cheers and wave to my wife in her G.

Neil

Joe Garra

My wife loves her Giulietta QV - she admitted it's the first car she has really admired  (and she did have a 156 selespeed and a 159 wagon)
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

Potsie

My wife has the 2l diesel progression version. With a little negotiation with the sales rep she bought it with different wheels, side and rear spoilers, leather interior etc. for only moderate extra cost. The only exterior difference I can see between the progression and the distinctive is the lower 'fog' lights. (albeit the progression didn't have a mirror on the sunvisor on the drivers side which did cause me a little grief). I think she got a really good looking and reliable car for the money, much more cost effective than her other options of a little German car (BMW; Merc).

The diesel is a fun car to drive - the DNA system is a good feature, and there has been absolutely no dramas in her first 17,000k. Potsie.
2010 159 2.4 JTDm - my daily driver
2014 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm - ex. wife's daily driver
e. alfamowing@gmail.com (for all your lawn mowing needs)

dellfamily

Thankyou for your experiences everyone. We do like to drive something a little different from the masses. The Giulitta just felt right with the heart but the head kept nagging about reliability and resale value. German just doesnt seem to have the flair or passion of Italian or French. Japanese is reliable but common. Wife wants to check out the tan interior as it looks good in pics but need to see in real life as the black looked good and is a safe option. Any further opinions , advice or experiences much appreciated. Thanks again.

Neil Choi

Pffft, no one buys an Alfa with the head, only with heart and passion!!!

Joe Garra

dellfamily , just check with my wife (Robyn) who belongs to the Dell family - she will definitely give it the thumbs up, the only down side is the smallish back seat - ok for our girls 10 and 12, and for me (a short wog) . On the rare occasions that I get to drive it - fantastic - just keep in D mode :-)
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

dellfamily

Are you kudding, another Dell? Not that many around. Didnt think there was Italian blood in the genes but maybe???? Wife will check out Zagame in Richmond tomorrow to see if they have other interior colour variations to see in real life.

dellfamily

Wife and I are not big people and we have small build 8 and 10 yo kids so internal compartment size not an issue. Have Honda CRV as big family car when needed.

dellfamily

Deposit paid! White Distinctive, TCT, black leather, upgrade to 17" wheels, satnav unit. Excited!

Neil Choi

Ha!!!  SUCKER.

Show us your G.

dellfamily

Thanks for that welcome Niel.  :o If its Sucker after a couple of years then our new baby will be gone to a new home, but we hope to have a new family member we will love no matter what.

dellfamily

Will post new proud parents and baby photos after a hopefully painless delivery.