Giulietta Star/Stop Stopped Working

Started by Red Giul, March 26, 2015, 10:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Giul

My Giulietta Star/Stop function has been working for almost two years. But it stopped working recently. Would this be related to battery charge level? I only do short drives and very rarely get on the freeway. Thank you in advance for your input.

alfamisa

It is most likely the battery charge as this is by many including myself the common cause.

If your driving routine/route hasn't changed since the previous two years it might be something else but if recently you used wipers/demisters/Air Con etc it will have put extra load on the battery and may explain it's "lower" charge which is enough to prevent stop/start operating.

Simple check is to take time for a drive along a long road (doesn't matter if 60/70/80 or 100) without traffic lights/stop/give way signs and after 15-20mins of driving pull over and see if it activates. If yes it was battery charge.
The Alfa Romeo heritage "rinascimento" (renaissance) continues in each and every new model...the first "rinascimento" being 1915.

colcol

The stop/start cars need a special battery to cope with the extra load.
My 156 was recently scanned and after 138,000 klms and 13 years, it has been started about 3,500 times - interesting to see how many times a stop/start cars has done.
If it is a hot day, the motor will need to be running to keep the airconditioner working, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

DAMO1A

If you drive mainly in traffic and the battery is the original one the start/ stop failure is possibly a warning that a new battery is needed.
2015 Giulietta QV TCT
1990 Alfa Spider Series 4