105 Coupe rear windows

Started by f1fascination, January 13, 2015, 10:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f1fascination

Hey all, after finding a great section on AlfaBB about rear window hinge replacement on coupes, I have a couple of questions...
Firstly, should the windows be glues into the B pillar channels, i.e the one's that hold the hinges, and should there be any sort of seal between the glass and that channel?
Mine pretty much fell to bits when I removed the latch at the rear, luckily I caught the glass before it hit the deck!
Scruffy though charming 1973 GTV 2000

Colin Byrne

i've never used glue there, but there is a rubber channel that sandwiches between the chrome channel and the window, see the photo from alfaholics, that should give you a firm enough fit not to require any glue

72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

LaStregaNera

That's the seal that sits in the Bpillar and the window's chrome (Stainless) trim piece nestles into it - The glass piece was originally held into the stainless with a glaszing mastic putty - you can buy it, just not in oz it appears, and you have to roll it thinner. I had the same problem with the glass falling out of the stainless channel, so I sikaflexed mine from memory - it is a little permanent though, so don't screw it up!
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Colin Byrne

sorry, your correct, haven't played around with these for a while....

LaStregaNera

All good Colin - I had to think pretty hard to remember what I did!
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

f1fascination

Thanks folks, that's great. I will be able to put some sort of mastik or Sika in there. Cheers!

f1fascination

Sikaflex automotive glass adhesive did the trick on the windows, but I am chasing a couple of new knobs for the rear window catches, the white plastic ones?
Does anyone know of a supplier?
One of mine, um, failed a durability test, and the other has gone quite brittle with age.

Evan Bottcher

I bought new production ones for a Karmann Ghia, they're almost identical to the originals.

http://alfa.bottch.com/2011/10/1750-gtv-october-2011/

2011?  Jeez I should finish that project...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

f1fascination

Thanks Evan, it looks like they might even sell the knobs separate.
And that's a great blog!

Colin Byrne

Digging up an old thread here,

Unfortuantly i've been told no plastic side windows allowed in my class  :( so i'm just going through all the glass and fittings i need, I've just received my order from AH with the 6 rubber blocks and the 6 steel clasps, just wondering if anyone has a photo of(or knows where to get) the original self tappers used to screw the steel clasps to the B piller? i imagine they are very short so not to go to far into the rubber block and look need to have a countersunk head?