Fault finding checklist?

Started by CraigGTV6, March 17, 2015, 10:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraigGTV6

Hello Guru's,
Back into Alfas today, after many years away.
I was offered a GTV 6 today for the grand sum of $500 bucks. Couldn't say no....
It's a Vic country car and pretty good body wise, but doesn't run.
Unfortunately, 2 gonzo mechanics and one auto sparky have had a go at it before me and lots of things have been "checked" but nothing replaced. 
The previous owner dropped it off at the mechanics originally because it was running poorly.
He is not a car guy but loved this one, and wanted it fixed. The mechanic gave him a list of stuff that needed replacing, including all 6 injectors @ $1500, a new ignition module @$250, and a changeover throttle body (afm?) @ 500.
Plus labour of course......
Needless to say he felt he was being taken for a ride , so mechanic 2 took a look and added a few items of his own, including driveshaft donuts (!)
Next stop was the auto sparky, who didn't offer much except that he thought it was probably the ign module.
The original owner, after months of this hassle has had it, and this is where I come in.
So, my plan is to re-install everything that has been removed/tampered with, and start again.
Is there a troubleshooting checklist somewhere that a mug wrenchy like me can follow to try and get the old girl going again?
I don't know much about EFI, my previous Alfas were all carby ones so this is new ground for me in many respects.
Any help much appreciated.  I'm looking forward to being a regular on the forums...
Craig.

TimD

This link has helped me to no end:

http://www.hiperformancestore.com/Ljetronic.htm

Let us know how you get on.

Alfapride

Welcome back! Why not post a photo of your new addition? Few things I found essential improvements to this model
Upgraded alternator
New thermo fans that draw less current and cool better
Relays added for headlights and ignition
Enjoy!
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

CraigGTV6

OK Tim!   
yes, yes, yes, that link is JUST what I was looking for!
Thanks very much.
Will print that out & take to the shed for a play now.
Will post a pic & reply later..
Ta,  Craig.

aggie57

Hi Craig and congratulations!  Sounds like a decent project car, not expensive which is important.

When I first started playng with injected Alfa's in early 90's I found TAFE ran some weekend courses on them for hobbyists like us. They ran in Box Hill so maybe that's an issue for you, but the thing was they completely removed the mystery.  The Bosch L-Jetronic system is actually really simple and easy to troubleshoot.

When I looked a few years ago they were still running the course. May be worth looking up.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

CraigGTV6

OK, here she is.
Apologies for the photo quality.
This is as-collected. No washing, polishing, vacuuming or anything at this stage. Just rolled off the trailer & into the shed .
Now the fun starts...
Craig

GTVeloce

Did you say 500 bucks?! For that?! A steal! Sure, there will be some work to do but unless there is some serious terminal rust that we can't see it looks like you have a great resto project there regardless of whether it's just a tinker and get it going job or a full blown strip down and rebuild.

Good luck with it and hope to see you blasting out past Granya Gap in the GTV6 one day soon!

Alfapride

Great find! Looks like a bargain
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce

CraigGTV6

Yep, pretty happy at this stage, but they need to be cheap if you're going to have to spend a bit on them.

Started on the Greg Gordon checklist today; have already found some cracked hoses as per step one, so that's encouraging :)
stay tuned!
Craig

ps another pic

VeeSix

Looks great Craig, from the photos it looks like give it a good wash, sort electrical/mechanical issues and on the road, a great fun car once sorted, my favourite Alfa Romeo model :)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

Cool Jesus

Mate what a find, so jealous. I too would have moved heaven and earth at that price. As youve found the jetronic page, that's a good start. As others have pointed out the electrics are lacking, indeed it seems to be the norm for that era and in some case it's still the case with some manufacturers. In saying that, they weren't engineering marvels, its very basic stuff, just with an Italian flavour. Keep it simple and start with your basics, fuel spark and air. Keep in mind it's age too, so some hardware will need attention like fuel pump, sensors and as your preach finding the efi and various rubber like hoses and belts. Just research your fix and you'll find it a relative cheap fix compared to what's been quoted. And jump onto the forum with any concerns for an answer. I'm still shaking my head at the price, gives me hope that I too may stumble across one eventually.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

brook308

CraigGTV6

Thanks for all the replies!
Getting lots of good advice by pm so if there's something I should know then don't keep it to yourself.
More than happy to learn from the mistakes(cough) experiences of others!

No at this stage, and I haven't looked at it since Friday, it cranks fine - nice & fast now the battery is charged, but doesn't look like firing.
At the moment I have the inlet off and i'm replacing ALL the hoses attached to same. Many are the fabric wrapped originals ( ! ) Very hard and probably porous.
Next step is to look at fuel injectors & seals whilst the manifold is off. Hoping to do this tomorrow.

another pic :)

brook308

I have had all 6 injectors seize after sitting for a a few years.
Using some aero start whilst cranking will prove if you have spark.
Using a logic probe on the injector loom connectors whilst cranking will prove if the ECU  is firing the injectors. Holding the air flap open in the air cleaner box with the ignition on should start the fuel pump.

CraigGTV6

Thanks brook,
if injectors are seized, how do you free them up?  can I just soak in some fuel or thinners?
Is there a way of bench testing them?
Also, what's a logic probe? (i'll have to google that..)  Should I buy one now that I'm moving into computers & fuel injection?
Didn't know the one about the fuel pump, so that's good too.
All great tips, Thanks.
Craig.

another pic.