83 Alfetta donut and drive shaft

Started by sharka, March 08, 2015, 04:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharka

The front donut on my '83 Alfetta destroyed itself and one of the holes on the drive shaft. I've found plenty of places selling replacement donuts but I'm having trouble tracking down the front drive shaft.

Is it the kind of thing I could chop the end off, have someone machine a new one and weld it back on?

Another suggestion I've had is to weld the hole up completely and re-drill it but this sounds particularly sketchy to me, thoughts?

Any help is welcomed!

LukeC

Welding up and redrilling is feasable, but getting the positioning and fit of the bolt is the tricky bit. Only can be done by a competent machinist...

Forget cutting the end off: you will be in for a world of pain there.

Be aware that using another front shaft (only) may cause imbalance/vibration issues. There are many theories why these things are so pernickety with balance and how Alfa did it at the factory. I don't want to start a debate, but I have my own theories.

Remember an Aftetta sedan front shaft will be the same as a GTV front (of the same year). The length difference is in the back.

Surely one of the usual culprits like Monza motors will have one.
Luke Clayton

qvae.com.au

Sheldon McIntosh

I'd be surprised if it's hard to find an entire driveshaft for an Alfetta.  You don't mention where you're located, but there are plenty of Alfa wreckers around the country.  Hugh at Monza Motors, Marc at Milano, here in Melbourne.  And another one whose name I can't remember, but they're in Thomastown, last time I was there they had at least 10 complete Alfetta Sedans.

I'd be getting an entire driveshaft if it were me, to eliminate any balancing issues.  Renew any dodgy looking donuts, maybe centre-bearing while you're there, and not have to worry about it for a while.  And then check all donuts regularly to stop it happening again.  Try to get the entire driveshaft with original nut and bolts too, there is a theory that they need to be in the original position too;  don't know how true that is, but people far more knowledgeable than me have told me it, so better safe than sorry.  The bonus of getting an entire shaft is you might end up with a couple of decent spare donuts.  Carry them in the boot at all times, and you're guaranteed never to need them!!

sharka

It would appear I was just looking in the wrong places as both Monza Motors and Milano have them in stock.

Thanks heaps for the advice and pointing me in the right direction!

Sharka