The Alfa Workshop UK

Started by Catzfan, March 05, 2015, 09:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catzfan

Has anybody used The Alfa Workshop in the UK (www.alfaworkshop.co.uk) for parts and if so what were they like? For instance they will supply a timing belt kit for a Twin Spark including postage to Australia for the equivalent of $160, about half the best price I can find locally. Their parts are advertised as genuine Alfa or OEM.
Older man having a bit of fun
2001 Spider TS Luxury

Evan Bottcher

I've bought some parts from them for the 159. No concerns, they mistakenly sent the wrong MAF sensor once and sent the correct replacement as soon as I contacted them and refunded the costs to return the wrong one. Easy to deal with.

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Catzfan

Thanks Evan. good to hear they're OK. Prices seem very competitive too.
2001 Spider TS Luxury

Domenic

Just make sure you get the complete 5 piece Kit, which has 2 belts, 2 tensioners, 1 idler.

Overseas suppliers generally sell the camshaft belt Kit that only contains 3 pieces, timing belt, timing belt tensioner and idler. They sell the balance shaft belt and tensioner as a separate kit.

The local suppliers sell a 5 piece KIT which contains the balance shaft belt and tensioner as well. If you bring just the 3 piece kit to a mechanic to fit that has done the job before they will generally ask "where's the rest of the timing belt kit?"

colcol

And when the timing belt for the balancer breaks/strips teeth and comes off, it will tangle up with the main timing belt, which there will be a loud bang followed by a long silence.
The balance belt has to come off to replace the timing belt, so do it as well.
Also as recomended elsewhere, change the water pump every second belt change, as it is sitting there looking at you, they are not that expensive, they are cheaper than a 33 waterpump and a lot easier to change.
As you have to take off the harmonic balance pulley to remove the timing belts, check the condition of the rubber sandwiched in the pulley, any cracks, then renew it while it is off.
Now with the Aussie dollar heading downwards, the local suppliers are the most competitive they have been for six years and you can take your old parts there and compare them to the new ones, so you can finish off that repair/service, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

echo1750

Mary & I were there in July last year to collect some SZ bits that I had organised with Jamie a month or two earlier & we ended up spending a couple of hours with him. He is a long term Alfa enthusiast with a substantial workshop who knows his cars & very easy to deal with. There were maybe 30 ARs there the day we called in from early 60's thru to modern, Guiletta spiders X several, 105 coupes & spiders, a Montreal heading for Japan, multiple 75s including his race car, a fwd V6 turbo coupe, 147s, 156s, 159s & his 4C. He asked if I wanted him to take me for a run up the motorway in it, you can guess the answer & yes it was really quick, is nimble plus stops hard. Off the line he says that it is faster than he can change gears, but from 3rd on he can keep up. Would I deal with him again, of course & with confidence.  CU Kim

Catzfan

Quote from: echo1750 on March 20, 2015, 10:19:42 PM
Mary & I were there in July last year to collect some SZ bits that I had organised with Jamie a month or two earlier & we ended up spending a couple of hours with him. He is a long term Alfa enthusiast with a substantial workshop who knows his cars & very easy to deal with. There were maybe 30 ARs there the day we called in from early 60's thru to modern, Guiletta spiders X several, 105 coupes & spiders, a Montreal heading for Japan, multiple 75s including his race car, a fwd V6 turbo coupe, 147s, 156s, 159s & his 4C. He asked if I wanted him to take me for a run up the motorway in it, you can guess the answer & yes it was really quick, is nimble plus stops hard. Off the line he says that it is faster than he can change gears, but from 3rd on he can keep up. Would I deal with him again, of course & with confidence.  CU Kim
Good to hear Kim. In the dealings with them I have had so far, they have been very helpful with my queries. For instance, when there have been multiple options on a part, they have responded promptly and have helped with advice as to what parts I really need for a certain job. Orders are dispatched within a day. I haven't received my order yet (10 days since posted) so we'll see how long it takes.
I am very envious that you got a ride in the 4C by the way. Good get!
2001 Spider TS Luxury

Catzfan

Just to round this off, the parts I ordered arrived in a week so tick the delivery box. And Jamie told me that the 4C has been stripped down and is being modified so a spin up the Motorway for any visiting Aussies is unlikely in the short term
2001 Spider TS Luxury

Cool Jesus

I've had nothing short of excellent service from the guys at Alfa workshop. They respond to emails and their service is as good as any local supplier. The one time I had an issue with an item they replaced it at no further cost, no questions asked. Their prices are respectable and items arrive within the week. If you create an account with them, pricing is converted to AUD on your order, including shipping, before you checkout so you can compare the costs. I hear and believe EB spares have similar customer relations, only I find it a little harder to price items straight off their website. Of course the only pitfall is delivery time, but in most cases uts worth the savings of a locally purchased part if you can wait.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS