Inspecting Air filter element on 916 Spider

Started by Catzfan, March 06, 2015, 12:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catzfan

I want to check out the air filter element on my 916 Spider TS but can some one tell me how the clips as per the photo below are to be undone? do you need a special tool?
Thanks in advance
Older man having a bit of fun
2001 Spider TS Luxury

colcol

You need a special pair of pliers, one part on the pliers undoes the clamp and the other does it up or so to speak, i think some people call them click-clack pliers.
Me on the other hand replaced them with tridon stainless steel hose clamps, so i needed a screwdriver, rather than a special pair of pliers.
They use these special clips to stop overtightening of the hose clips, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

if you stick a flat bladed screwdriver into that bump and then twist the blade, it will pop off. If the blade is inserted from the top, twist clockwise and vis a versa from the bottom. I then used to use pincer pliers to click them back on, I think they were pliers used for tile cutting??? I now have a full proper set for any and all hose clamps...
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Mick A

They are called EZ Clips or Clic Type Clamps 

the pliers are readily available and cheap. Here is a link.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Audi-Collar-Hose-Clamp-Pliers-Clic-and-Clic-R-Type-/251843436711?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3aa309e0a7

they look better than standard hose clamps, and keep the car original.

I hate seeing them being replaced with standard hose clamps on air intakes, as they look shit, and can damage the intake pipe.

I would advise to keep the original clamps whenever possible.

It is a cheap pair of pliers.

Mick

Catzfan

Thanks for the tips. I have ordered a pair of the pliers off Ebay
2001 Spider TS Luxury

Catzfan

My $20 Ebay clic-clac pliers arrived and of course I had no idea how to use them. Luckily my mechanical engineer son did and now I'm set to go.
2001 Spider TS Luxury