75 Door handle fix

Started by alanm, March 01, 2015, 04:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanm

Hi all,

Reading a post on this forum about 75 door trim removal has just saved me a lot of head scratching, so I thought I might put this up in case it helps someone else.

My door handle just stopped working – button went in without any resistance and door did not unlatch.

I pulled the door trim off using afore mentioned post (thanks Evan and Shiny) and discovered that a piece that was supposed to be attached to the inside of the handle was lying in the bottom of the door frame.

The attached picture probably tells the story, the small metal part that is riveted to the inside of the plastic handle had snapped off.
As it has a large surface area, I think glue will fix the problem.

I hope this helps someone  :)

Cheers,
Al.
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33

GTVeloce

Hi Alan

My drivers door handle broke in the exact same place. I used JB Weld and it's still working three months later.

While you are there, look at how the mechanism works and a few well placed dobs of grease makes everything so much nicer.

Cheers
Julian

alanm

Hi Julian,
You're the bloke who drove a 75 from Perth to Paris?
Congratulations on that, it must have been a hell of an experience and a wonderful tribute to the humble 75!

Re. Lubricating the mechanism, I sprayed some WD40 here and there and it's made a big difference. Cheers, Al.
Present
1987 75 TS Rosso
2001 GTV V6 Nero
2001 156 V6 Monza Rosso
Past
1986 GTV6 Grand Prix
1988 33