164 Window Winder Replacement

Started by V AR 164, February 10, 2015, 10:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

V AR 164

Hello all!

I'm new here so bear with me please.
I am currently in the process of replacing my 164's window winders. The car has not been driven for 10 years and the windows do not work anymore, apart from the drivers side which goes down halfway and then makes a grinding sound. All four windows need replacing. I have just purchased another 164 and want to swap out the window mechanisms.

Is it a straightforward job or are there and difficulties?

(I believe had posted this in the wrong category, my bad)

Thanks, Andrew.
Present:
-1992 164Q
-1993 Hilux Surf

Past:
-2006 159 2.4 Ti

colcol

Have a look at Scotty Kilmer on youtube, 'replacing power window assemblys' or any of the other thousands on youtube.
On a 33, like most cars, you take the door trim or doorcard as some people call it, locate the bolts that hold the window onto the assembly, these are usually two 6mm bolts, loosen them off  and if this loosens the glass, remove the two top weather seals at the opening on the door, where the glass goes in and pull the glass out through the top.
Then undo the bolts and nuts that hold the assembly in, unclip the wiring harness and with the motor and assembly loose, wiggle the assembly out through the opening of the door, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]