ITB on a gtv6

Started by gtv6sv, January 31, 2015, 05:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Campbell

Quote from: Duk on February 02, 2015, 07:44:14 PM
Quote from: AikenDrum105 on February 02, 2015, 04:50:55 PM
Am I the only one that gets squeamish seeing unguarded cam pulleys ?    :o

I get a little squeamish. I get a lot more squeamish every time I'm reminded of how little belt wrap there is on the (car's) right hand cam sprocket................  :o

I can see myself being oh-so careful but getting caught anyway. :P

Duk

Quote from: AikenDrum105 on February 03, 2015, 10:30:30 AM
I'd always thought that once you moved to any form of forced induction, the benefit of ITBs becomes significantly reduced - moving to one or two throttles making life much easier to manage plumbing and setup wise...

But happy to be re-educated on that one ;)

I've never driven a turbo'd ITB car, but 1 thing that is rather apparent in conventional manifold/turbo is a that they have a very elastic throttle. By that I mean, when the driver opens the throttle, as the engine comes on boost and the driver reduces throttle, because the desired speed/performance has been achieved, the car continues to accelerate.
Maybe ITB set ups reduce that elastic throttle behaviour???

Incidentally, the ol' elastic throttle behaviour is well and truly dealt with in factory turbo cars with electronic throttle bodies. So if ITB do reduce or cure entirely, the elastic throttle behaviour, then their need for implementation (and their cost) is thrown out with electronic throttle bodies.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

MD

gtv6sv

QuoteI wouldn't be going for monstrous power, something just make it 'special'.

I think this statement provides a lead of what it is your are trying to arrive at. By "special"
I take it that you want the car to have good pace and more than likely for street application.

If that is the case then it is hard to go past a Greg Gordon supercharger set up. All the headaches have been worked out and the performance is a known quantity. No guesswork.

Road application is all about torque.There is no cost comparable turbo set up that can provide the same amount of bottom end torque that a roots blower can. So my suggestion to you is to stick with the K.I.S.S. rule. The TBs in your case are just a distraction.Get scribbing to Greg Gordon. You'll enjoying your project a lot sooner..

As for the blower whine, it wont be long before you consider it a status symbol like a good note on an exhaust system.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

gtv6sv

Oh if I went to forced induction, I wouldn't be putting ITB's on, be one or the other, that would definitely be digging deep down in the pockets with I'm sure a lot of maintenance haha
1970 1750 Berlina
1983 GTV 2.0
1985 GTV6 2.5
1991 164 Q 12V
1992 33 16V S
1999 GTV Twin Spark

gtv6sv

MD spot on with that, pretty much a fast road car I'd be aiming for, however most important thing for me is to maximise and really bring out what these transaxle cars are capable of (to be road usable though of course), so suspension and braking will definitely be one of the highest priorities in my books!
I do Look forward to sharing this project with everyone here,It will be long road but i cannot wait! !!
1970 1750 Berlina
1983 GTV 2.0
1985 GTV6 2.5
1991 164 Q 12V
1992 33 16V S
1999 GTV Twin Spark

jazig.k

I see you're from Melb. Have a chat with Joe at Mille Miglia Motors. His son had a twin turbo GTV6 which I got to see myself once. Might be able to get some pointers from there.

Car was defected for body work being cut out for the intercooler if I remember correctly? Was either being taken off the road or stripped of the turbos and kept on the road, as I was offered the 'kit' but communication was terrible and very patchy. I have no idea what happened with it all. Might have been 6~7 years ago or more now...

GTV6SA

3.7 24v 415Hp top photo
bottom photo 3.7 24v TT over 600Hp 0.6Bar

Duk

Most of the ITB set ups I've seen photos of, look bulky and clumsy.
The best ones probably cost more, but are compact and and well integrated into the engine and engine bay.
The Daily: Jumped Up Taxi (BF F6 Typhoon). Oh the torque! ;)
The Slightly More Imediate Project: Supercharged Toyota MR2.
The Long Standing Conundrum: 1990 75 V6 (Potenziata)............. What to do, what to do???

gtv6sv

That 1st turbo one looks crazy!
I know the uncle of the guy who has the twin turbo. Funnily enough we were talking about it today haha!  He said he'll try arrange a time for me to have chat, which would be very useful!  Car is still twin turbo,  and tells me it's a quite a machine, sounds like a lot of fun;-)
I was worried about that for the intercooler, surely there must be a way to get around it?
1970 1750 Berlina
1983 GTV 2.0
1985 GTV6 2.5
1991 164 Q 12V
1992 33 16V S
1999 GTV Twin Spark