Toyo R888

Started by hammer, May 17, 2008, 10:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

Hey, has anyone out there used the Toyo R888 on the track? I am seeking feedback. I've only ever used the Dunlop DZ03G (in a 205/50/15) which has been a fantastic. Toyo, however will save me $240 per set so I thought I'd check out what they are like. Any feedback on how they handle in comparison to other tyres you may have used would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Brent

blacklotus99

I have used both.  The toyo is a harder compound than the D03 and takes slightly longer to warm up.

The dunlop is available in 5 compounds I think and preference depends on what car you are running them on.  I use the toyos on my 911 because the harder compound suits the the car as it doesnt chew up the rears so quickly.  Toyos are progressive on breakaway too, excellent in the wet and make a good road tyre.

If you need a softer compound the dunlop D03 is the pick both dry and wet.  I have them on my 105.

The D01J were similar to the D03 but NLA.

hammer

Thanks for the advice mate. I'll give it some thought but may stick with the Dunlops.

Thanks,

Brent

Fast Eddie

big price difference too.  If you were using these on a road going car that also went on the track the Toyos will probably last longer.
I went from Toyos to D01's to DZ03 and am about to go back to Toyos primarily due to price plus slow wear rate on a multi-use vehicle - road and track.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

hammer

I am actually going to use them on Jim Nielsen's former weapon, so I am leaning toward the softer DZ03Gs - probably in a medium compound.

Scott Farquharson

Hi Brent,

Jim had a lot of data on tire choice - I know he was using the Michelins at the end, which is probably a bit expensive, however he does know the Dunlops very well also - he'd be my first tel call on tires for that car.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

pep105

Hi while we are on the subject any feedback on Yokohama A048s in comparision to the Dunlops and Toyos? Looking at putting these on my 105 Gt Jnr however will be multi use (road/track), have seen a few stepnose GTA replicas getting around on A032s 

Thanks
Pep
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

hammer

Scott,

Jim and I have had many discussions about the tyre/wheel combination that best suits the car and my application. My challenge is that Jim was most recently running slicks, where I have to run R tyres on the car to be eligible for our Qld Alfa competition. I was specifically scouting feedback here on the R888 as it seemed to provide good value for money. However, given the wide range of compounds available in the Dunlop I am going to purchase a set of those in 205/50/15 and see how they go on the Guilietta.

Thanks for the advice though mate, I genuinely appreciate it.

Cheers,

Brent

alfagtv58

Sorry to throw another tyre into the mix, but don't discount the Bridgestone RE55.....bloody good tyre, I love it.  The Yokies provided very good grip when the tyre was new but grip fell away as the tyre wore.  The Bridgestone's are still providing excellent grip and they are close to being shagged, you do need a fair bit of neg camber though.

Re the R888, I haven't used them, but i have been told to get longer life from them you need to buff them first.  Something to do with the amount of rubber moving around and messing up the heat cycles a bit.  But don't quote me on that.....second, third, fourth hand information. ;)
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

pep105

Cheers,

Thanks for the feedback Phil, reduction in grip with tyre wear seems to be a Yokohama characteristic   expereienced that in Yokie road tyres too   
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Scott Farquharson

agree with Phil re the Bridgestones and Yokies
Scott Farquharson