fully registered multiscan

Started by sportyone, January 06, 2015, 06:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportyone

got the registered software, but still can't connect to my phase 1,  98 spider

after following instructions it kept telling me it timed out when testing ? thinking I needed full version for

the 3 pin connector to work properly I bought the registered version !

now I am getting these odd messages without it login on or connecting to the ECU,

says I need to set the port speed ??

what is that and where do I find where to do that ?

gone out and bought a small laptop & all the correct cables etc to do this job ! still can't make the "B" thing work !!

can anyone help ?  please ?

pasey25

you need to go to the settings menu as shown in the picture linked below. the port speed is the 38400 number in the image, you can change and test it by pressing the test button

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn268/amikotsanava/FEC1.jpg
Current:
1969 Lancia Fulvia 1.3s Coupe
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione
1991 Alfa SZ #440
1967 Fiat 850
1966 Fiat 850
1969 Giulia Super
1989 Alfa 75 Twin Spark

Past:
1967 Lancia Fulvia Berlina GT
2005 147 GTA Monza Sele 59/100
2001 156 Monza Sele 2.0TS
2010 159 TI 2.4 SW

sportyone

thanks mate,

but I have to use KKL-VAG & 3pin connector for my car, so I think it's setup different to this ?

cheers,

Cool Jesus

Disregard port speed, leave it at its default setting, it will still work.  Make sure you have the correct com port and set the buffers to their lowest setting for that port. So if the kkl is on com4, open device manage, select that com port's settings, select advanced and there should be 2 sliders. Set them both to 1 and you're good to go.
Connect your cables first, turn car to ign, start MES, and if it's your first time on the car select the button that searches for what modules you have. I think it's the scan button, it will bring up which ecu you have then select it in the menus, that way you won't pick the wrong module to play with.
Now I'm just going off the top of my head here, but I think I have it right. Any issues and I'll take some screen shots of my settings. I was only just yesterday plugged into my 98 spider clearing some DTCs.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

sportyone

oh Jesus !

thank you so much, that's sort of clearer, I have fiddled for ages, now I might get it working :)

what's the go with powering the 3 pin plug, do I have to hook it up via the lighter ?

but in mine, I don't think it's got power until ignition is on fully ?

which bring me to the questions,

do you have the car running ? or just ignition on only

or key just at MAR, which is sort of nothing on anyway ?

Cool Jesus

Yes, use the lighter for power, I rigged up a cable with leads, aligator clips and lighter plug from bits I had around the garage. You can source these from Jaycar too. I did know why it was needed, having an altziemmers moment now and cant think of why. Something to do with the data k-line and how the signal is received etc. Actually, it may have something to do with how the software determines if the ecu is on or not? I don't know.
You should have power with ignition on MAR, that's when all the dash warning lights come on and the modules go through there self tests?
You can run MES with the car running or just ignition on (MAR). Just understand that you'll need to reconnect each time you cahnge the key position. So, if your on MAR, when you then turn the key to start the engine, MES will disconnect. So, just hit the connect button again and run whatever diagnostics you like. Same if you go back to MAR. Hmmm, maybe if the 3 pin 12v input was sourced externally, it may not disconnect. Might try this out as its a bit annoying that it disconnects (for diagnosing start up issues)

Its a good idea to have a folder on your laptop's desktop for MES scans. I then keep screen dump images of MES in word documents. Did this for my whole Alfa stable, to have a base line for future reference and to keep any recordings of real time scans.
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

sportyone

Hey man, thanks so much,

but did everything as you said today, but can't get it to work, the software says can't connect to ECU

due to port, connections or interface something not correct ??

checked all the bits again to no avail. got me puzzled big time.

Golly, this has taken some time & expense & still no progress !

Why is it so hard, I do know if it's even nearly getting through, just keeps telling me it has failed to

connect !  maybe I am connected to the wrong plug ?

The 3 pin plug I am trying to use was on the floor near passenger side console and

towards front under carpet & glovebox ?

perhaps it is not it ? :(

Cool Jesus

OK, it should be working. You've got the right plugs connected. It was mentioned earlier about baud rate, maybe for the KKL it needs to be selected correctly as in retrospect I was actually thinking of the ELM cable which doesn't have a selectable rate, yet still works. Have another read through the MES user manual, its a downloadable pdf if you dont have it yet. If a get a moment, i'll take some pics and screen shots of my settings. Is your KKL cable a straight cable or the one which you can switch the pins on?
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

sportyone

I believe it's a straight cable, well has no switches ?

see attached foto of both cables  :)

Alfa156Melb1

Did you work this out yet?

Did you install the com driver for the cables?