Summer BBQ by the Yarra

Started by As the day goes, January 14, 2015, 08:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

As the day goes

With the Asian Cup on, it was impossible to get a park near the scheduled meeting place and  practically around the whole of the Botanic Gardens.   

Gave up at 7pm after 2 circuits of the gardens.  Saw only 2 other Alfas in my travels.

I ended-up have my picnic near Como with lots of parking:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Kanteen/@-37.833497,145.0050796,18z/data=!4m5!1m2!2m1!1scomo+park!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x074d73dfba10ce86

Anyway the weather was a bit un-summery.

:'(

colcol

Agree, Summer BBQ by the Yarra, bad place to go, should go to the Heidleburg Park in Beverly Road Rossana, just off Burgundy Street, plenty of parking, football field, cricket pitch, BBQ's, plenty of free parking to perve on Alfa Romeo's, lots of birdlife, places to buy good food and coffee, just off the freeways, Eastlink and Western Ring road, close to Veneto Club in Bulleen, so we can kick on afterwards there, Spectator Pavillion in case it rains, tables and seats, playground equipment for Kids and Uncle Col, Police Station around the corner in case Uncle Col plays up, no brainer really, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Heidleburg Park for January Meeting and Veneto Club for General Meetings.
Veneto Club has Bocce facilities, so we could get in some secret practice, to stop the Fiat club from plundering the silverware, just don't tell the Fiat club, as they have their club meetings there, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Yeah, me too, and the few [hundred] times i have been to the Veneto Club, i have always found a car park and their food is good, the atmosphere is Italian is pleasing as well, Colin.

Victor Lee

We ended up getting a car park on the other side of the Botanical Gardens and 10 minute walk to reach where the members were located.

For the numerous times the January BBQ has been held on the Yarra banks, I think this was the only time there were 3 events on in the vicinity (soccer was on, Fast 4 tennis at Rod Laver, and a show was on inside the Gardens).  On all previous occasions, getting a car park was easy.

No doubt numbers were down because of this parking issue and only 14 of us made it there.  Whilst overcast, the weather remained dry and only started to get cool around 8.45pm.

One upside:  No other BBQ users!

Happy to continue to go there again next year (it's pretty central to most members) or another place.  Whilst the location and facilities available is key, it's the members that makes it at pleasant and enjoyable evening.
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Evan Bottcher

That's two years in a row that parking has been a major issue, so I'd be in favour of an alternate location. One with a playground would suit families. Perhaps a return to Albert Park?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

colcol

14 people going to the Yarra BBQ is not a lot of support, try and stay away from the congestion of the City at that time of year, in years past we have gone to the Mordialloc Beach, where we set off from on Sunday Runs, before that we would go to a park in Box Hill or Mont Albert?, just of Warrigal Rd., could try one of those Parks near the boathouse at Fairfield, where we had the Childrens Christmas party a few years ago, Albert Park may be restricted that time of year, due to the Grand Prix works, Colin.

colcol

Whats the parking like at Barkley Gardens?, is the parking close to everything?, so we can look at our Alfa Romeo's and go over and talk about them, i wonder if the traffic would be as bad around Richmond as it is around the Yarra BBQ, with all the city traffic and events going on there?, Colin.