pistons and rings 1.7 8v

Started by azza, January 10, 2015, 11:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azza

does anyone know where i can get new pistons and rings for a 33 1.7 8v

colcol

Try Vin Sharp at PACE Engineering, 03 9844 0147, Italian Automotive Spares, 03 9036 1606 or Monza Motors, 03 9720 4442, all with many years Alfa Romeo experience, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sportscar Nut

Azza

Not many cars came to Aust with these engines fitted and hence the parts suppliers never stocked a lot of parts so 1.7 8V boxer pistons are rare and not easy to locate in Aust (particularly if after over size). I had the 1.7 8V engine in my Sud rebuilt a few years back and literally contacted every current and ex Alfa parts supplier Australia wide and was fortunate to locate the last set of OEM max over size pistons from Turin Imports.

Suggest sending a few emails to the UK including Peter Webb at Alfasud Parts UK. Am sure you will find a set with persistence.

Good luck!

Paul

colcol

I would take it to an engine reconditioner and have the bore measured, to find out the condition of the engine and what size the bores are.
You might find the bores are ok and just need a hone or are tapered and oversize and will need a rebore.
If you spend your money on pistons and it turns out the bore has to go up another size, you have 4 expensive ashtrays.
If you go to an engine reconditioner that knows Alfa Romeo engines and tell them to hone or bore and hone the engine and supply pistons and rings, its their problem to supply the correct pistons and rings, as some sizes may not be available.
There is no 'standard' size bore and pistons, as it depends on how the bore cleans up when first machined at the factory.
After the bores are honed they are measured and piston rings are installed to suit, there is a daub of paint on the block to show what tolerance the bore is and what rings to install, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Sportscar Nut

Col's advice is spot on. Get the bores checked and if only need a hone and pistons are okay, you only need new piston rings. Easy to get quality rings made in Melbourne!

Bore wear is good on these engines but my issue was a small 'scratch' in one bore so hence needed go oversize on pistons.

Sure not a cheap exercise as full rebuild involves overhauling the heads (typically a clean and new valve stems seals) and if crank is okay, new bearings.

Cheers
Paul

azza

thank you for all the advice ill try and go down the honed avenue first failing that i have found a company in melbourne that can make pistons for me,just trying to get engine last another 20 years as im putting it in a sprint im rebuilding , do you guys know how i can get bigger brakes and disks on back at the same time changing to a common stud pattern

colcol

The back brakes don't make much difference, its front wheel drive, with no weight on the back, in 305,000kls, i have replaced the back shoes on the 33 twice, the front brakes are more important.
By the way, the injected 1700's last longer than the carby 1700's as the fuel is better controlled and sprays less petrol on the bores washing away lubrication, Colin.

azza

the reason i got the 1.7 8v was the guy i got my sprint of had a 33 1.7 8v sitting there and got it cheap and its rear and its a easyswap, im going for disks on back for looks

colcol

You want to fit rear discs instead of the drums, how are you going to rig up a handbrake?, the 33 drum brakes have an excellent handbrake and adjuster, unlike the Alfasud.
You may have to rig up a illegal hydraulic handbrake, using the standard Sud caliper or adapt a solid handbrake disc caliper, such off a 156 rear that works, despite being made by Lucas, Colin.

Sportscar Nut

Yep - Col's spot on again! Changing rear brakes will be a painful exercise for no performance gain.

Just the handbrake issues make me cringe (though he does have a Sud handbrake phobia) ;D

Paul

azza

i have all the running gear of a 33 p4 with rear disks was going to try and do something with that but might not use p4 stuff as not many p4's around and was hoping there was some other way

Ricky Ricardo

Put the P4 gearbox and rear diff in your Sprint and just make it rear wheel drive   :D