Tyres for 159TI 19"

Started by Martin S, January 02, 2015, 03:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

Quote from: Maltalfisti on January 15, 2021, 11:23:20 PM
If I go in to get my wheels re-balanced soon, would it be worth asking them to swap the tyres around from front to back, and vice versa?

All manufacturers recommend rotating car tyres regularly to maximise their usefulness, including Alfa.
I am sure the tyre place would be the experts in this, maybe ask them and let us know what they say.

Hopefully it will be useful info, and not biased towards just selling you something new
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Maltalfisti

Good point, thanks. I'll give them a ring tomorrow...  8)
The only problem with the GTV6? They forgot to install the flux capacitor...

kaleuclint

Alternatively, if you are happy with the tyres you already have on your 159, you can just buy new tyres two at a time... :D   If the new ones go on the front, you're rotating them (kind of) anyway.  The 'problem' is when they all wear evenly like mine do.

I can't rotate the tyres on my Mercedes, but I can tell you this: both fronts and rears are a lot cheaper than 159 rubber.  Try $112 delivered for a Conti CSC5 (OE) front.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Craig_m67

Why can't you rotate (different sizes and rotational?)

That said, I've managed to rotate a set of tyres only once in 35yr motoring (lazy, no impact gun)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bonno

In regards to tyre rotation don't be like me and couldn't be bothered as my recent experience with my 156 JTS resulted in nearly getting stranded with a flat tyre caused by wear on inner edge (out of sight out of mind). Anyway all good replaced both fronts with Pirelli Dragon sport 215/45R17 91wXL and front wheel alignment for $400.

bazzbazz

Quote from: bonno on January 29, 2021, 10:37:46 AM
caused by wear on inner edge

This would indicate your Front Upper Arms need replacing.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bonno

Thanks Baz,  I will make a point to check it out, as the tyre place did not mention anything.

kaleuclint

Quote from: Craig_m67 on January 29, 2021, 09:17:44 AM
Why can't you rotate (different sizes and rotational?)
Yes (widepack) and no.  Interestingly the spare is a full size alloy front, so it can go on the rear and on either side.

My Alfa does have rotational tyres.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Maltalfisti

Quote from: bonno on January 29, 2021, 10:37:46 AM
In regards to tyre rotation don't be like me and couldn't be bothered as my recent experience with my 156 JTS resulted in nearly getting stranded with a flat tyre caused by wear on inner edge (out of sight out of mind). Anyway all good replaced both fronts with Pirelli Dragon sport 215/45R17 91wXL and front wheel alignment for $400.
Good price, I was once quoted $1200 for all four Pirellis - but that was for the 19" Ti.
The only problem with the GTV6? They forgot to install the flux capacitor...

kaleuclint

Just remember diameter + aspect ratio + tread width is not the total equation.  The other very important bit is "98Y" or higher.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

Alfatango

Quote from: Alfatango on January 08, 2021, 04:42:36 PM
I got the Hankook Ventus S1 EVOs and am very happy with them.

Recently replaced the front 2 for Pirellis p7 and they are a class above. Much stickier, more feedback through the steering wheel and more responsive to inputs. Wet performance very good as well.

Got a screw through one of the fronts with the hankook so decided to replace the spare wheel so if it happens at a hill climb than I can still finish the day.

Stu159

I agree with you there Tango. I've had Pirellis for several years and always liked them. I had to replace all x 4 tyres and I came across a deal on Gumtree that had my wheels & Bridgestones with about 90% tread as a deal. I had a fair bit of gutter rash on my wheels from x 12 + years of ownership, so I did the deal. I used to like the car when I first bought it as demo and it had Bridgestones then. Having just had them all replaced, balanced and wheel alignment done I can say they aren't even close to the Pirellis, when it comes to connecting with the road. They hang on, but the smooth, sticky traction & feedback has gone. I'm definitely going back to Pirellis

Stu
Now: 159 V6 Q4 (2006)
Past: Alfetta GTV 2000L (1980) chrome

kaleuclint

Given they were delivered for under $100ea., I bought another pair of CSC5s for my Mercedes.  I suspect I will never need them.  I've never run these on an Alfa but agree they are brilliant tyres.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

MattK

Thinking I might go Michelin Pilot Sport 4 for my 159 Ti TBi (stock rims) unless someone has a better idea? I think the going rate is about $300 a corner for the 245/40 R19 98Y and there's a $100 Michelin rebate for 4. Any better options? My priorities are grip, quiet, durability in that order.
I'm confused by the post about CSC5s delivered under $100, I presume that's a smaller/more common size?

bazzbazz

Quote from: kaleuclint on July 06, 2021, 06:20:32 PM
Given they were delivered for under $100ea., I bought another pair of CSC5s for my Mercedes.  I suspect I will never need them.  I've never run these on an Alfa but agree they are brilliant tyres.

So just WHERE did you get them for under $100???  ???

It's what I ran on my 156 till they were superseded by the CSC6
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au