Tyres for 159TI 19"

Started by Martin S, January 02, 2015, 03:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Edwards

The wifes current model Giulietta Veloce comes fitted with CPC6"AR".  Very good in the wet and relatively quiet. 
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

MattK

Jeez. Saw my mechanic yesterday who advised me the Michelin PS4s are heavily worn after <2 years and maybe 20000 km, and that the fronts had scrubbed inner edges almost down to the canvas. Not happy. I could have sworn I paid for an alignment at Bob Jane, and paid attention to the advice to get zero toe for the 159's geometry, but either I screwed up or they did, it would seem. He rotated fronts to rear and vice versa, and now I am tyre shopping again.
Could I have caused this by going slightly over wide? I bought 245/40R19 (98Y) for my Ti on stock rims.

MattK

Looks like I can get Pirelli "Powergy XL" (ugly name) for about $220 a corner after cash back. Would that be a bad idea, does anyone think?

Craig_m67

Why did you want to go wider than Alfa engineered/recommended?

No idea if it caused the dodgy wear, but they don't just pull the tyre sizes out of the air over a coffee, some designer argued with an engineer and an accountant ignored them and chose/paid.

I say this as somebody who put a Sud into a tree 35yrs ago as I put wider tyres than recommended and it aqua planned in the wet.  Admittedly, something you're unlikely to do (aqua plane) in a (farkin lardy) 159.

I swear by Michelin PS4's.. perhaps get the alignment re-checked. 
I've put 25K km on my current set, all flat out (GQV lives in D) with just one rotation.. they're fine.

Needs an oil change though, and a wash (Bazz!) 😊
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

bazzbazz

I'm not washing it, I do believe that's what your teenage son is for . . . .  8)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

MattK

Good point Craig, I guess I just liked the wider look and the thought of a larger contact patch. It may well have been a problem with wear. I'll look at the correct size!
Anyone got opinions on the Powergys? The PS4s are way more expensive at the moment (like $70 a tyre) and I'm not anxious to go back after such a short life.

GTV6SA

Anyone tried the new Michelin PS 5's? 235× 40 x19 96Y - $416ea
245x40x19 98Y $352ea
Any problems using 245s?

poohbah

If you're looking for a good value tyre alternative that still offers good road/handling traits but better durability, try Continental MaxContact MC6s.

I've fitted Contis to most of my Alfas over the last few years. Not cheap, but cheaper than Michelins or Pirellis.

And if you shop around, good chance you'll find someone doing a 4-for-3 deal (not matter what brand you're after).
Now:    2002 156 GTA
            1981 GTV
Before: 1999 156 V6 Q-auto
            2001 156 V6 (sadly cremated)

GTV6SA

Looking at Pirelli Pzero PZ4s, German review says better than Michein PS5's  & Michelin PS4S's.seem to be much cheaper with buy 3 get 4 deal EOFY sales & in correct size as well

kaleuclint

Replacing Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s with... 3s.  Very happy with these in 245/40 made in Germany, presumably still as OEM for Porsche.

Tempe Tyres in Sydney can now despatch these directly to McKinnon Tyres in Melbourne under a preferred fitting arrangement.
2011 159ti 1750TBi

GTV6SA

After 2 mth wait,set of Continental contact sport 7s have arrived in correct size 235x40x19 96Ys,will be interesting to compare against previous contisport 5s, much cheaper than Michelin PS4S's

MattK

Heads up, MyCar have 50% off Pirellis if you book today. I got a set of the Powergy for about 700 including an alignment, a lot cheaper than the options I'd been looking at.
EDIT: ugh, their stupid site correctly identified my car as a 159 Ti, but specified R18 for the tyres, I have contacted them to fix it to 235/40R19. Hoping they won't upcharge me.

MattK

aaaand of course when I specified the right size they were unable to supply any Pirellis