2015 Driver Safety and Circuit Training at Winton on Saturday March 28

Started by Neil Choi, December 28, 2014, 09:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick A

No worries mate glad I could help!

I'm the opposite to you, I am more confident in a car.

I've done heaps of track days over the years on the bike at Broadford and Phillip Island, knee on the deck round corners and all that sort of stuff, but it's the little things that take time to master. Always wanting to learn more!

I'll be asking you for tips if I see you at a ride day! haha.

Mick

Alfa156Melb1

Ehhh someone to talk bikes to :)

I'm out of practice though... I haven't ridden a bike in ten years  :'(  Crashed mine, then did other things, then had our fist kid.. life.

Mind you, if i wasn't spending so much on the GTA i'd buy a 600cc track bike - perfect for Broadford.

Neil Choi

Interestingly, last night on the news, there was a headline news segment, rah, rah, rah, there is now a "big push" (due to Easter) by Vic gov for compulsory young driver training and even a free course for the new drivers.  Give me a break.  I think Vic gov and the general pubic are at least 20 yrs behind in terms of thinking.
We have been actively promoting and running a driver training for the club for well over 16 or 20 yrs now, look through the competition forum on all my posts.  All those who were involved then are still involved today.  The uptake by the club is only and disappointingly reasonable compare to its size of membership and the number of parents and driving enthusiasts around.
I had successfully encouraged two members for their kids to do our course when they were old enough to reach the pedals, ie 12 yo. And they then did Circuit Training and sprints once 14 yo.  Now one with P's is a confident but "slow" driver and no need to go nuts as the driver can have fun on the track any weekend.
One driver education advice is to get rid of automagic cars, seen how many cars go through shop fronts because of pedal mistakes and automagic stops drivers thinking.  Or teach and practice left foot braking, you can't get it wrong and it is quicker and better balance of the car.

Alfa156Melb1

Quote from: Neil Choi on April 06, 2015, 05:19:59 PM
Interestingly, last night on the news, there was a headline news segment, rah, rah, rah, there is now a "big push" (due to Easter) by Vic gov for compulsory young driver training and even a free course for the new drivers.  Give me a break.  I think Vic gov and the general pubic are at least 20 yrs behind in terms of thinking.
We have been actively promoting and running a driver training for the club for well over 16 or 20 yrs now, look through the competition forum on all my posts.  All those who were involved then are still involved today.  The uptake by the club is only and disappointingly reasonable compare to its size of membership and the number of parents and driving enthusiasts around.
I had successfully encouraged two members for their kids to do our course when they were old enough to reach the pedals, ie 12 yo. And they then did Circuit Training and sprints once 14 yo.  Now one with P's is a confident but "slow" driver and no need to go nuts as the driver can have fun on the track any weekend.
One driver education advice is to get rid of automagic cars, seen how many cars go through shop fronts because of pedal mistakes and automagic stops drivers thinking.  Or teach and practice left foot braking, you can't get it wrong and it is quicker and better balance of the car.

I doubt anything will come from it.

I had a coffee with the State Libs Shadow transport minister years ago - I forget which year but it was back when the introduced $50 road safety fee for bikes. More than 10 years ago anyway.

In anycase, he was selling me their policies for road safety, and on the main they were excellent.  I won't go through them all - there's no point, none of them were implemented. Ever.

However he was talking about offering significant registration discounts to those people who did a driver training course.  Also, for those that had a blemish free year, they'd also discount their reg.

They also wanted to significantly reduce speed camera's siting the hidden dangers they pose. For those camera's left, they would mark them. And they were quite anti red light camera's because research shows that they increase accidents at intersections by encouraging people to mindlessly slam their brakes on the second they see an orange light, without looking to see if anyone is behind them.

He also admitted that speed camera's did NOT increase safety. They're own research showed that speed was never an issue. Fatigue, Idiocy, lack of skill, and speed differential were the main culprits. Then of course bad roads etc. This was the research used by both sides of the house while forming policy. But there were clear advantages in regard to selling the 'safety' idea to the public, while justifying the huge fines. The rest is history.

Of course, Labor was in at the time and the bloke in charge, Peter Batchelor was obsessed with speed camera's and they needed the money.  Remember the Fast Rail Project?  They won the election Kennett couldn't lose and they never expected to win it. So whilst they had talked about the Fast Rail, no work had ever been done it. It wasn't funded, wasn't planned. nothing. It was a pure thought bubble, something they thought sounded good to take to an election they'd never win.  It took them by surprise and this was their signature policy.  They had no way to pay for it and so this ended up being one  of the major cash revenues that funded it - amongst others. It was all very funny if it wasn't so serious.  They eventually implemented the new trains in a round about way, the end result was slower services but that's another story.

Later, I worked for a Labor party lobbyist - I wasn't involved in that business, i was running another one of his ventures.. but it brought me into close contact with lots of politicians of the day and everyone from Bracks to Brumby right down to Peter Bachelor all often bragged about the money raising windfall of speed camera's while joking about their utter ineffectiveness. Disgusting. None of them had any energy at all to think about ways to improve safety.. there's no money in it.

Unfortunately since then, they've been so financially successful all governments since have had no choice but to expand the system.

It's nice to hear it back on the agenda, but unless they find a way to make you pay through the nose, and find way to repeat it.. it won't have legs.

More back on topic - before working for the lobbyist, i had a bike training business and I had the same experience as you. Why more people didn't do it was beyond me - you'd think bike riders might be more aware of the hazards, more passionate about improving skills - certainly more than the average car driver though.. but no. My competitors would say the same thing, we were all pretty good mates.

And yes - the Auto licence - what the hell is that? And why???? One of the worst safety decisions ever made.

Sorry about the long post!  I always get worked up when this subject comes up  :D