Running Hot on the Track

Started by Rob Berson, May 09, 2008, 11:20:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Berson

My Alfetta GTV (which I drive to the track) starts running too hot(approx 100 c) after 3 to 4 laps on the track.
It was suggested to me that I take the thermostat out and block off the bypass hose from the thermostat housing back to the waterpump. Anyone know if I do this will it run too cool on the road? I have also heard that if you pump the water through the radiator without any restiction then it might pass through too quickly to be cooled. Any advice would be appreciated.

Rob

116gtv

I'd start with obvious things such as swapping thermostat and radiator. I've got a spare radiator if you want to borrow it for testing Rob, Cheers Martin 0421 174 935

vin sharp

Quote from: Rob Berson on May 09, 2008, 11:20:40 AM
My Alfetta GTV (which I drive to the track) starts running too hot(approx 100 c) after 3 to 4 laps on the track.
It was suggested to me that I take the thermostat out and block off the bypass hose from the thermostat housing back to the waterpump. Anyone know if I do this will it run too cool on the road? I have also heard that if you pump the water through the radiator without any restiction then it might pass through too quickly to be cooled. Any advice would be appreciated.

Rob

Don't  remove the thermostat or yes it will run dead cold on the road and run thru too fast on the track. Check that it is opening fully by boiling it in a pot of water and checking it.
IN any case I would say that 100deg after a few laps say at Winton (low road speed, high revs) is about what you would expect from a standard radiator. This temp is okay as such, BUT it leaves no margin for hotter weather conditions, and the engine will run more efficiently at 80/85 deg. A larger rad is the best option and a smaller crankshaft pulley to slow down the over-speed water pump which can cause cavitation and loss of cooling efficiency.

John A Pucak

I had the same problem with overheating. Yes you are right in regard to the smaller pulley and having a good thermostat. I fitted a late series radiator(GTV6) with abetter core for motorsport applications. Now my Alfetta runs at80 -85C on the track even after 25 laps of Eastern Creek
Good Luck John