GT Oil Consumption

Started by dc_cudi, December 27, 2014, 11:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dc_cudi

Hey,

I own a GT 2007, 2.0 JTS, I was just looking to find out what the oil is consumption is like for other owners of alfa GTs? I understand that alfa drink a lot of oil but I just feel that my consumption level is excessive.

Thanks for your help I'm advance

colcol

What type and viscosity oil are you using?, different oils get burnt more than others.
The JTS is a direct injection and because of the high pressure fuel injection and piston ring design, like a drink of oil.
My JTS can use 100-200 mlls of oil every 1,000 klms.
Keep an eye on your consumption by checking it every week, on the same ground in the same place, so you don't get any variants, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

dc_cudi

The manual states that it should use 10w-60, have only ever used that or 15w-60 which mechanic recommended.  My car uses far more than 200mls per 1000km, i bought 5L a month ago and that is gone already, would say that ive only done about 2000kms in that time, yet there is no oil leak in my car, no puddles being formed underneath the engine.

colcol

The mechanic recommended 15-60 viscosity, would that be Penrite, 'extra 10 with added zinc'?, if it is, then i have run that oil, and it doesn't use as much as others, as it is a bit thicker.
Castrol Edge 10-60 is a bit thinner and uses a bit more than Penrite.
Mobil 1 5-50 is a bit thinner again and uses a bit more than Castrol Edge, but i use the Mobil 1 in the winter months.
Have a look at the undertray, it tends to catch any oil leak residue, rather than it dripping on the ground.
How many klms has your car done?, the JTS will normally do about 250k, before oil consumption gets out of control, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Steve S

Up to 1L per 1000km is common on any oil.

dc_cudi

Thanks for the reply. Yep the Penrite oil is the one I've been using,  been through 10L of that in 8 weeks I reckon. I'm due for a service anyways so I'll definitely get it checked out

colcol

Over 1 litre per week is too much, unless you are doing 1,000 klms per week, how many klms has your engine done?
Penrite HPR 15 fully synthetic 15-60 is the oil that i have found uses less in my JTS, because it is a bit thicker than the recommended 10-60, Colin.