Campagnolo Alloy Rims

Started by madram, May 08, 2008, 06:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madram

I have just finished restoring a set of original Campagnolo "Turbina" style alloy rims for my 1972 Spider. I had no luck tracking down original or repro badges for the rim centres. Got a set from the UK, but they turned out to be for the later type of Turbinas fitted to Alfettas and don't fit my rims. Anyone able to tell me just how the original badges for the wheels were attached? Currently, I'm using modified badges from Alfa 33/75 alloys, attached with silicone - which look ok, but aren't what I'd prefer. Also, I was only able to find a set of 4 rims - if anyone has a spare Campagnolo lying around the workshop, I'm very interested :)
Madram [AROCA-Qld Webmaster]

Current: 1972 2L Spider Veloce
Former: 1988 Alfa 75 2.5L Auto (x2)
            1987 Alfa 33 1.5L Super
            1978 Alfasud Ti

1750GTV

Hey madram,
Like you I have 4 Turbinas on my GTV and a standard steel wheel as a spare, though mine are stamped Cromodora rather than Campagnolo. The centre caps on my wheels are 55mm in diameter, all metal and are fixed by a rear cap and screw. I took one off and photographed it.
I've seen other cars with these wheels and a variety of centre caps, so I'm not sure what is original and what is not.
You could try other BBs as these wheels are presently not popular and I believe owners are getting rid of them in favour of the GTA styles. You may be able to pick up an extra wheel plus some better fitting caps.
Hope this helps,
Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

madram

Thanks Chris. Congrats on scoring a set of Cromodoras - they are supposed to be a better quality casting than the Campys. Pics of the centre badges are excellent - do you mind if I use them in an article I am preparing for our club mag on my rim restoration saga? They look like a nicely engineered bit of kit - a far cry from the clip in plastic badges common now. At least I now know what I'm searching for!

Madram [AROCA-Qld Webmaster]

Current: 1972 2L Spider Veloce
Former: 1988 Alfa 75 2.5L Auto (x2)
            1987 Alfa 33 1.5L Super
            1978 Alfasud Ti

1750GTV

The pictures are yours to use.
As to the wheels, they were on the car when I bought it many years ago - apparently a factory option according to the previous owner. I rather like the pattern, but as I said, at present the Alfisti seem to turn up their collective noses at them.
If you are a member of the AlfaBB (a US bulletin board at www.alfabb.com), do a search under "Cromodora center caps" and have a look at post #7. Some guy with the login Pat Garrett cast a set in pewter from moulds that he made. They sound very similar to my centre caps only mine are alloy. I've attached a photo lifted from the BB and if you contact him, he may still have some for sale.
I look forward to reading your article.
All the best,
Chris

PS: Here is the link http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/59453-wtb-cromodora-center-caps.html
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV