Tyres for the Berlina.

Started by GTV-074, November 12, 2014, 03:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTV-074

Need to get some new tyres for the Berlina (1750 S1).

I will be putting on some Cromodora (CD22 style - were an option on 1750's). They are 14x5.5 in size.

I was thinking along a 185/70 sized tyre. I have read and researched as much as I can and as always the result is conflicting mish-mash of replies/opinions/thoughts.

Michelin XM2, Yokohama, Marangoni etc etc.

SO just to add some more to the mish-mash, any thoughts brand, size?

Won't be a track car so just something half decent.

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

Barry Edmunds

Paul, You have opened up a veritable minefield when you ask for advice on tyres (just like oils).
I have tried the Marangoni on my Giulia Super and found them to be fairly skittish and lacking grip at the first sign of water/rain so I'd suggest crossing them off your list.  Obviously long wearing but I'd rather have safety than long life in a tyre. I replaced them with Toyo and so far I have no complaint as they are quiet and have good grip in the wet. I have tried Yokohama in the past and found them to a be a good all round tyre. I had Bridgestone GIII on a Giulietta sedan and they were very good but the tyre that Bridgestone brought in after the GIII was not as good as the GIII. Never did like Michelin but some swear by them.
Whatever brand you decide on make sure that the rolling diameter is as near as you can get to the Berlina's original tyre size otherwise your speedo will be wrong and that could be expensive.
My current Toyo, 195.55x15" are as near as I could get to the original OD so my speedo is very accurate, so much so that I have not contributed to the state's revenue raising cameras., Ooops I mean road safety cameras. If you can hold off for a couple of weeks, have a talk to other Berlina owners at the Club's Spettacolo, Wesley College Melbourne Sunday 30th November. Sure to be plenty of advice available on the day You will probably finish ip over-loaded with advice.
Good luck
Barry

GTV-074

Thanks Barry.... Yeah I know there are heaps of options just a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff as the old fella's used to say!

Original 165 SR/HR fitment have an OD of 626mm, then you have (these sizes depending on which website you look up, so are approx. only),

14 -185/70    616mm (preferred)
14 -195/70    630mm
14 -195/65    610mm
14 -175/75    618mm (currently fitted)
14 -185/65    596mm

They will really be for cruising and the odd 'spirited' drive.I am happy with the 185/70 as a workable compromise so I'll probably just see what I can get the best deal on.

Unfortunately I want them on before Spettacolo!   (darn! ain't it always the way).

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

LaStregaNera

Quote from: Barry Edmunds on November 12, 2014, 10:58:45 PM
I had Bridgestone GIII on a Giulietta sedan and they were very good but the tyre that Bridgestone brought in after the GIII was not as good as the GIII.
I've got GIIIs on my GT Veloce and they're approaching the end of life - was disappointed to see that Bridgestone had killed them off (They really were a good tyre) - not sure what I'll replace them with in 195/65/14...
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

tjb0274

I run Falken ze912s in 14x195x65 on my Ricciardi (105 Berlina suspension) for road use and wet track days. Not too expensive, and seem to be a good sporty tyre, without being in the same league as the Adrenalines and other top line stuff. This is the second set I've had, which should tell you something  :)

Current:
1970/1990 Ricciardi-Alfa (track/occasional weekend car)
2003 147 GTA (daily driver)
1969 Lotus Europa (weekend toy)
2003 Peugeot 206gti (retired daily driver)

Past:
1971 1750 GTV
More Fiat 850s than I can count

LaStregaNera

Had seen that the ze912s were available, wasn't sure how well they worked though... Will flag them as a possible next set of rubber...
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

f1fascination

I have just fitted some great Continental 185 70's to my GTV, quite reasonably priced and almost period looking.
Scruffy though charming 1973 GTV 2000