Interesting 105 story

Started by Paul Gulliver, May 01, 2008, 09:05:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Gulliver

Found this interesting read on the internet

The Story Behind the Aluminum Washers Under Two of the Cam Cover Nuts
by Targa Florio

It was a cold, wintry day when I stopped by Italservice, Adelaide's numero uno Italian Car Garage. I was chatting with the proprietor, Luigi Amori, when somehow the conversation came onto 105 cam covers. Then Luigi asked me if I knew why there are aluminum washers under two of the cam cover nuts.

DIASS
In the early 1960's Luigi Amori was working as an instructor in the DIASS division of Alfa's Arese plant. DIASS is an abbreviation of DIrezione ASSistenza, the Alfa division whose principal role was to provide technical assistance to dealers. As Alfa Aficionados know, the division's abbreviation appears on Alfa's technical publications such as workshop manuals and driver's handbooks.

Luigi was training a group of young mechanics from Alfa dealerships in the tuning of a 105 engine. The car being used was one of the very first Giulia Supers. The car had done a lot of kilometres, as it was used as a general runabout by many in the plant. Consequently, the engine was somewhat worn and there was quite a lot of 'blowby' of fuel past the worn piston rings into the sump.

The Giulia Super being used was one of the first made. It had the old-style cam cover without the front lugs which were used to bolt it to the head. All washers under the cam cover nuts were fiber.

With the young mechanics gathered around the running engine, Luigi was demonstrating how to check the efficiency of each cylinder. Using a long screwdriver Luigi shorted out each cylinder in turn by touching the cam cover and the spark plug.

Oily trousers
Luigi had just shorted out the third spark plug when there was an almighty explosion. This startled Luigi and the mechanics. Some mechanics even said the word "Gosh" - in Italian, naturally.

The unburnt fuel fumes in the sump had exploded and blown out the sump gasket. Luigi and the mechanics that were close to the engine had their shoes and lower parts of their trousers sprayed with oil.

It was time to adjourn for a strong coffee to soothe their nerves and regain their hearing.

Two Aluminum washers
As a result of this incident, Alfa Romeo earthed the cam cover by replacing two of the fiber washers under the cam cover nuts with aluminum washers. Luigi told me that two washers were chosen because while one would have been sufficient, two looked better.

Luigi also told me that it was at about this time that the cam cover design was changed and two lugs were cast at the front of the cover. The head design was also changed and corresponding lugs were cast into the head. This enabled the cam cover to be bolted down at the front and stopped any 'weeping' of oil from the cam cover gasket.

Six Aluminum washers
Incidentally, your humble scribe has replaced all four fiber washers on the cam cover with aluminum ones. The four fiber washers discolour and even delaminate with oil. The six aluminum washers also look better.

I am indebted to Luigi Amori, italserv@airnet.com.au, for this interesting piece of Alfa Romeo history.

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0